Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez BTB 400 QM?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassBoyLeroy, Dec 12, 2001.

1. I had a question about the Ibanez BTB 400 QM, and the BTB series in general. I've heard that the BTB series is much better than the Soundgear series. Currently I have a sgr 200, and I dont know what it is... something about it rubs me the wrong way. I got it because I needed to make sure I actually want to play bass. Now that I'm sure of myself, I'm in the market for another bass.

Back to my original topic; the BTB 400. At my local bass store, it runs around $699. I had this bass recommended(sp?) to me by a friend, and I was wondering what you, the people of TalkBass, had to say about it. Any other suggestions/comments bass-wise would be helpful, if ya have any.

-Leroy-

2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    It's an awesome bass. I love it. But $699 is the list price, and you should never have to pay the list price for basses. MF price is $530, see if you can talk them down to $500.

Welcome to Talkbass!!! :D

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I think BTB's are cool, but after a/b-ing them with Fender Active Jazz's, I like the Fender better. Either one will do the job, but I guess I'm just a Fender guy.

primusdude is right, that price is way too high.

4. The fender you are talking about, Is it MIM or MIA?

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    I got my BTB for $375 :eek:
    Used of course but it was in excelent condition

BTB are Great! they sound incredible, the neck is wide and comfortable (to me--- check if you want a wide neck), has 4-5 more frets than the Fender (see if you need em), has a better EQ, the look is just awesome (for the price), i had no problems with the electronics also.

I also have a Fender MIM (not the active)... try em both... your ears and hands will have the last word

(ask Allodox for more BTB info :) )

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    The Fender Deluxe Active Jazz is MIM. It's built a little nicer than the less-expensive MIMs, with an alder body and better pups and so on. There is also an American Deluxe Jazz, but it costs about twice as much.

7. the BTBs are great basses!...i'd go for it...but try and get it for $500 (as what the other guy said).

it's definitely a winner!:)

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The BTB 400 is a good bass for the price. You should be able to get it for around $500.

An even better bass in the same price range is the MTD Kingston. Blows away some basses costing twice as much. You may like the BTB more, but if you don't try an MTD before buying the BTB, do yourself a big favor. DO NOT try one after you buy the BTB.;)

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    $500 isn't a bad price, but I've never seen it with a case for that price. I know for a fact that GC charges about $100 for the hard case for one. They're $600 without cases around here, and I've yet to see one with as nice of a finish as mine has, with as well-figured of woods. Lucky, I suppose.

Great basses, though. Too bad I sold mine. :)

10. embellisher

Angus, the 4 string is $600 in Seattle? Man, that's high! GC has them for $529 here in Dallas!

11. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Those are the two basses I'm trying to decide between (maybe the 5 string versions). The local GC carries the BTB's, which I really like, but to try out an MTD Kingston would mean a 150+ mile drive. Is it still worth it?

12. embellisher

IMHO, yes, it is worth it.