Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez BTB-405, SR-505 or SRX-505?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tenchu, Oct 1, 2004.

1. I'm planning on buying my second bass as soon as I get another €200 (approximately), I've decided to get a five string and Ibanez seems to be the best deal. I read a few threads about all three models, but I didn't find what the precise differences were in respect to sound, the effect of the Bartolinis... Some enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Out of those 3, I'd choose the BTB 405.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I've been a fan of the SRX's and BTB's. I've played many an SRX (all models), but not many BTB"s. I'm impressed with both. It mainly comes down to EQ and scale. You decide kiddo.

4. Options changed: SR-505, SRX-705 or BTB-405.

5. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    The two SR models has the same neck profile, very thin at the nut. An the BTB has a "normal" neck profile, and of course different pickups, and woods, which means different kind of sound. I think you should check´em out and make the decision by yourself.

6. BTB.

I'm actually looking at getting a BTB406QM 6-stringer myself

7. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    About: The two SR models has the same neck profile, very thin at the nut. An the BTB has a "normal" neck profile.

I just sold a BTB 405 because of the string spacing, which is very wide. The SR necks are thin and the BTB neck and string spacing is wide. I never could get used to the wide spacing, so that difference in "feel" might be a big deciding factor for you.

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I love my SRX 505 it sounds just as good as my other basses, so I presume the SRX 705 would be even better. I played the BTB 406 the other day and I wasn't really impressed, but then the shop I tried it in isn't very good so the amp was rubbish and the strings were old.

My SRX to me sounds as good and feels even better than most G&L tributes which in most peoples opinions are great basses.

Hope this helps

9. I knew most of that, but thanks anyway, and I've played the BTB and the SRX-705 for a (very) short while, but not enough to make a decision. My main question now is whether the Bartolinis on the SR make a big difference (because I didn't have a chance to try it - yet) and what I should be aware of before buying one.
    As for the decision making, I am of course planning on deciding myself ;) .

It does, thank you.

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    How wide is the spacing on the BTB405s and 406s? I find I can't slap with really wide spacing -- on my fretless, my thumb hits the fretboard in front of the string if I don't pay a lot of attention to my right hand.

11. 405: 19mm
    406: 17mm
    (SRX-705: 18 mm)