Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez BTB 405QM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vlad Kirushchen, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Vlad Kirushchen

Vlad Kirushchen

Feb 1, 2004
    Simply the find for those who wants to find the professional budgetary bass!!!
    35 " - give simply magnificent sustein, active electronics allows to wind completely different a timbre!
    Thus it turns out some kind of the universal tool.
    Ideal combination of price / quality. I think it the indisputable leader in this price category.
    I have got it to myself... To that it is inexpressibly glad. I play about 6 years and believe I listened very much to a plenty of basses - but it really a thing, it is unique to me strings Elixir... technology nanoweb have not liked a little guzzles top... That is necessary for technics slap. replace them and you receive 100 % pleasure from playing!!!

2. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Yeah, what he said!! That Bass is terrific! The perfect workingmans Bass! :bassist:

3. In Flames

In Flames

Dec 11, 2003
    Ohio
    It's really that good? is it better than the Schecter Custom 5 ?????

4. Finally!! Some good things said about the BTB405 and there seems to be some agreement according to some of the posts. I own one and, yes, it is indeed a very good base for the money. I like the shape, the feel, the finish, the tonal variations, the sustain.......more than any other in the price range that I have played. The higher end BTB's use Bartolini pickups and have an assymetrical neck. I have wondered if they play and sound significantly better, but I still like my 405.

5. In Flames

In Flames

Dec 11, 2003
    Ohio
    Are the 4 string models just as good?

6. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    You know the rules: PICS!!!!!!!!! :D

7. fenbull

fenbull

Oct 31, 2003
    Akron ohio
    Yea the 4 bangers are as good! My 4 has all the Tone i need to get the job done. The only problem i had was what i thought was the neutric input jac going bad. Turned out to be cheap 8v battery snap ons that have play in them from the factory. A few tight turns of scotch tape and the most noiseless bass for the money i have ever played. I will latter change the plug ins out. I :bassist: love the wider neck and the tone and sustain are great The 400 or 405 are a great deal and since i saved over $200.00 by buying a close out...priceless

8. wait a second, i looked in to the BTB 406, and all i had seen is pics of the instrument, and it looked as if the bass had plastic hardware (ie. tuning keys, bridge, etc). this is my biggest pet pieve. if you're gonna pay decent money, and expect a good quality bass, plastic harder ware looks cheap, and pretty much, in my opinion, is cheap. i would rather pay an extra 70 bucks, to get chrome hardware. so tell me, does the BTB series come with plastic hardware???

9. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    BASE?! :bag:

10. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Yes, I think it is. I owned a Schecter Elite 5 and the BTB had much better tone. IMHO. Better bridge, input jack, string spacing and it just looks a heck of a lot better!

11. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    You've never heard of Base 405QM?? I think it's just south of Area 51. :spit:

12. OK. Sorry guys, HaHa. I usually proofread better. My BTB405 is a bass and not a base.

Also, in answer to Crazy_Fingers27, my BTB405's hardware is nickel, not plastic. I really like the brushed nickel look and I've received many compliments on the hardware's appearance. The hardware seems of good quality and has held up really well.

13. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Dude! I just saw that on Channel 999 News! :rolleyes:

14. Great to see others convinced of the 405's quality.

I bought mine about 9 months ago, and have really loved it.
    I continue to go to local stores and play the basses on the wall, but have yet to pick up any bass (even those with heftier pricetags) that I liked as much.

I'm just a beginner, and haven't explored the real high end basses, but for now I'm quite content. :D

If only the operator had the quality of the tool!!! :meh:

15. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    Consider me an Ibanez convert! :hyper: My BTB is a total blast to play.

16. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    My friend has jsut bought a 405.... and i have to say its a great bass. I would love to try the top of the range 'prestige' model with the barts... to see how it compares to my warwicks... I wonder if Ibanez have considered building a thru neck? It would a pro ibanez bass.

solid flame maple body (or a bubinga option), 35" thru neck and the barts... would be very nice.

17. All the BTBs are excellent basses in each of their price ranges.

I'm actually looking to get a nice 35" scale 5 string soon, and I went to Sam Ash a few days ago looking for either a BTB515, or a BTB1005. They only had BTB405QMs in stock, but the one I played felt/sounded great. I played both the 515, and the 1005 about two years ago, so I can't acurately remember the tone, but I remember it was super. The BTB1005 was on par, if not better than the $1,500 Spectors in the store. No joke.

I also played this guy: http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=BTB300BG

The sound was close to a Jazz bass, but it had that wide-as-a-river BTB neck. Well worth checking out.

BTBs are one of the best values out there, IMHO, and their B string is very hard to beat.

Mike

18. 6stringerbeaner

6stringerbeaner

Nov 18, 2003
    I currently added to my collection the BTB 6 string. I love it. I like the fact that you can Dial-a-tone instantly. I agree the low B sound is tight. My buddy owns a Ken Smith 5 stringer but lately he's been borrowing my BTB for his gigs. :bassist:

19. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    I've never actually seen a BTB in a store. I've seen lots of pictures, though. It just LOOKS cool. :cool: