Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez BTB 450 bass vs SRX 700

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fippo, Mar 3, 2006.

1. fippo

fippo

Sep 17, 2005
    I'm considering buying a BTB 450 Ibanez bass and I seem to be leaning towards the srx 700 Ibanez. Prices seem to be reasonably close. Would appreciate comments.
    fippo

2. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i like the SRX cuz the neck is thinner. when i tried BTBs i thought the neck was much thicker, and i like thin necks.

3. Well, as far as I can tell, I think that the SRX seems to be more of a rock-ish bass. It has very high output pickups, and the tones you tend to hear from the bass are loud loud loud (the guy from killswitch engage uses the SRX705 I believe) I think the BTB is more for articulated music, where you want to play a lof of dynamics/play varying styles of music with it. Hop that helps

~K

4. fippo

fippo

Sep 17, 2005
    I'm a senior bassist and I go back to the uprights. I have a fair bass guitar and wil probably be more comfortable with a BTB and my music choises of playing.
    Thanks

5. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    If that is the case, I could recommend checking older sr1000~ models or higher end btb basses. they have nice bartolini electronics and do sound good.

6. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I think this is a classic case of "its a matter of personal taste". For me, I'm partial to the BTB series. The long scale neck and wider board is a bit more of a challenge to play compared to the SRX and SR series. However the reward is a bell-like tone coming out of that low B string and plenty of room to get slap happy if you like. The active preamp gives those pickups plenty of muscle and tonal variety, too.

Like the SR, I find the SRX's 5 string necks to be a bit too snug in the string spacing area, however you may dig that as many other's like the quicker maneuverability inherent on such necks. Those humbucking pickups are no joke! Those babies crank which might be perfect for a lot of aggressive players out there. However if you play a variety of styles of music, pickups with that kind of output might be a bit too much for some other music situations.

Both are cool instruments that are easy on the eyes and won't bankrupt you. I mean, you can't go wrong with either. So sorry to say..."its a matter of personal taste."

r

7. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    The BTB has a neck that's bigger in all dimensions. Wider fretboard, thicker, and longer scale. It has 19mm spacing, while the SRX, I believe, is 18mm. The BTB's pickups aren't as hot and the preamp is more versatile. Overall, the BTB is more 'traditional' sounding while the SRX is more aggressive.

I bought a BTB405 a while ago based on all those reasons, and ended up not liking it. I thought the big neck would be for me, but it's turned out not to be. Also, I found I wanted a more aggressive sound than it could provide. Honestly, I found the BTB's tone to be very boring. While I was selling it, a few guys came over and got great fingerstyle tones from it, but it just didn't work for my playing style. I didn't find the low B particularly exciting, either. The 19mm spacing was nice, though.

Anyway, I sold it after 4 months. An SRX might have lasted longer, but now that I have a Dingwall there's no going back.

8. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Wow, bummer about the BTB. Tell, me, have you ever tried the higher end BTBs with the Barts? There was the high end Japanese BTBs and the Prestige line. Nice stuff, finer tone woods, oil/wax finishes however same dimensions as yr BTB 405. Any better?

9. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    No, I've never played any of the higher end BTB's. I would expect them to have more tonal options, though barts are a bit dark for my tastes, too. The BTB was really a fine bass, just not for me. The guy that I sold it to seemed happy.

10. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    SRX, though I am a metal player.

11. DRZ400Bassman

DRZ400Bassman

Nov 6, 2005
    SRX, better neck and better tone, between fingers, thumb, plucking location, and a pick it has all the classics tones required for any gig. Those BTBs while looking nice, just have huge necks.