1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez BTB-556MP?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by badboy1984, Aug 13, 2007.

1. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Been playing 4 string bass for a while now, and i'm getting paid next week. So i planning to spend some money on a new bass, I always wanted to try a 5 string bass but i saw this Ibanez BTB556MP at a reasonable price but is 6 string. I was wondering is this bass any good?

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ibanez-btb-556mp/67067

Think i shell stick to a 5 string or just learn to play the 6 string straight away since I have to learn and adapt the new bass either is 5 or 6 string.

2. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    IMO, the jump from 4 to 5 is not a big one and the jump from 5 to 6 is not a big one, but the jump from 4 to 6 is pretty huge. Do you think you will have a use for the extra high string? Have you had a lot of times when you have had to very quickly move up and down the fingerboard when having the high C string would have made it more comfortable for you? If not, I would stay away from the 6.

In my case, I don't have the world's largest hands and I found having to make the extra reach over the C string to get to familiar territory on the E and A strings wasn't worth the extra range which I didn't use all that often anyways. With the addition of a low B, I didn't have to make the same adjustment, the only time I had a longer reach was on the low B string so it wasn't that bad. Your experience may be different, but I would try the 5 first and only move to the 6 when I felt like 5 was limiting me in some way.

Also, the Ibanez is a very nice bass. I am not crazy about the mk1 electronics, but either the pickups or the preamp can be replaced pretty easily if you found it necessary to do so. Other than that, not a bad option if you do decide to go for the 6er.

3. stefandisgust

stefandisgust

May 28, 2006
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Spector Basses-New Artist
    We had one in the house for a while and now have the older version without the MK1 or whatever it is in it.BOTH sound great but obviously this one you like is the "pretty" one

4. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    sound great, but look like i have alot of work to do after i buy this bass, need to get use to the 2 extra string, space of the string, bigger neck etc. Sounds like a real deal for a 6 string. I go check it out in shop in the next few days :)

5. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    If you have the opportunity, check it out in a shop. Sit down, and play it for an hour. If at the end of the hour you haven't gotten used to the string spacing and the larger neck, It would probably be a good idea to rethink buying the bass.