1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez BTB 676 vs. Ibanez SR-506

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by capillotraktor, Jul 14, 2008.

1. capillotraktor

capillotraktor

Jul 14, 2008
    Hi everyone,
    As you can guess I'm about to buy one of these two instruments. I've been looking around and have payed special attention to sound, quality, playability, weight and price, for a 6-strings bass. Finally the competition comes down to these two: wich one is the best in your opinion ? The decisive parameter to me is the ability to get the lowest action possible, since i'm going to play jazz/funk/afro... I've heard that the BTB is pretty good at it, so what about the SR ?:help:
    Thanx in advance

2. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    With any BTB/SR comparison I've ever done, the two biggest things that have jumped out at me have been the tone and the necks.

The SR models seem to have a bassier, deeper sound to them. Lots more low-mids, and really bright highs. They also have a bit thicker neck width, but tighter string spacing which I personally find more comfortable to play.

BTBs on the other hand tend to have a more "hollow" sound by default. By that I mean, it feels like I really have to EQ them a lot to get a nice, deep, growly bass sound from them. They strike me as very high-mid heavy. The necks are also much thinner and flatter on BTBs, and the string spacing is much wider than an SR (which would be great if you plan to slap/pop).

Those are just my observations. I prefer the SR models up and down, but there are many who enjoy the BTBs as well. You'll get a solid bass either way.

3. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    Hmmm...SR neck = thick / BTB = thin? I'd say it's quite the other way round.
    Other than that nice review ;) .

4. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    It's actually true if you go play some. SR necks are thin in the sense that the strings are tight, but the thickness from the back of the neck to the fretboard is more like a jazz bass. BTB necks are very wide (string spacing) and flat (profile).

5. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I used to own a BTB555 and definitely regret letting that bass go! The neck was very nice and the string spacing was wide. I would agree that the two basses in question do sound different with the EQ flat but the vari mid knob on the BTB EQ gives you a lot of versatility!

6. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    I owned both SRs and BTB; to me the BTB felt bulky & wide, while the SR had super fast thin neck. There are really different type of necks.

7. capillotraktor

capillotraktor

Jul 14, 2008
    Well thanx everyone, i didn't expect answers in such a short time:) I think I'll go for a BTB because versatility is quite important to me, but feel free to add more BTB/SR stories to this thread in the meantime, i'll keep you informed. The battle isn't over yet!!

8. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    Well you can always count on the help of the Ibanez club :) A lot of ppl own BTBs & SRs so it's the perfect place to post questions...regarding any Ibby ;)

9. ilmaio

ilmaio

Sep 3, 2009
    Cremona - Italy
    Sorry for the necro-posting, but i preferred to raply in this thread instead opening a new one.
    I am interested in kwnowing what are the sonic differences between BTBs and SR: i found a lot of topic where peoples describe the difference in construction, but very few speak about the sound.
    I own a BTB 675, and looking to buy a SR605, because i want a bass lighter e with tighter string spacing, but my fear is that the SR will sound too similar to the BTB.
    I'd like a sound more punchier and with more attack than the BTB, more mid-oriented. Does the SR have this type of sound or i'd better look for other models?
    Thanks in advance

10. I can't offer thoughts upon the SR I'm afraid as I've played a few but didn't like their tone and not owning one don't want to add a bias against them with no real backing.

However, I do own a BTB556 - which has since been discontinued - the 6 string neck, being 35 inch scale and a 6 string neck is very chunky, quite flat contour on the back but a very wide feeling neck. it has a huge slab of rosewood for the fingerboard and a nice satin finish. the 35 inch scale is a little to much for me to cope with while standing as the bass is heavy due to it's big body but it's tone is HUGE! I find the flat tone o this bass to have balls and definition by the truck load and the best part for me is that the pickups offer a lot of noticeable versatility from just the pan pot. the EQ is well voiced and quite subtle if you just use the bass and treble but get the vari mid involved and you've got a tone monster. I tend to set the eq in the tone I want with the blend centred and then switch pickups for mid emphasis and different attacks etc. Amazingly versatile bass, if I coud get these tones in a 34 inch 5er I'd not hesitate in selling the BTB but nothing I've found can match it yet. The note clarity and even response, especially on the low B, the clarity is awesome, can be felt as well as heard.

BUT, I will say that it's a heavy heavy and big bass and so I can't play it standing, it's for seated gigs only which is a shame.

Oldschool94 likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021