1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez BTB, cut though?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PollyBass, Oct 21, 2001.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I was wondering what ibanez whould cut though the most. would the BTB (The four stringer that comes in a natrul mohagony finish, the more expencve one i think) cut though at all? seems the wood would make it more deep, as well as the "Meduim" output pickups. I heard soundgears are all bass and treble, so im guessing that one wouldnt cut though either, altough it does seem that the people that do play them DO cut though. I know the EDC, EDB, and EDA have alot of midrange, but i REALLY like that BTB. 1005 (I think?)
    i would get a cheaper one, but the cheap btbs come in stupid colors(ok, not stupid, maybe girly, dont liek the red or purple.)

PLEASE thoughts are welcome. VERY welcome.

2. the BTB is a very (!) nice bass..
    it has a versatile EQ that can go from real deep 'n low to high 'n cut-thru.

my favorite setting is this :
    <li>pickup balance : 15 % more to the rear pickup</li>
    <li>Bass : 20 % boost</li>
    <li>High : flat</li>
    <li>Mids : full boost</li>
    <li>Mids frequency : at 55 / 60 % </li>

Cuts thru like a hot knife and a pack of butter.
    sounds great with the bassballs & overdrive too.

3. **** dude, full mids,
    That'd make for some awkward bowel movements

I sent my Bart EQ on my Cort to:
    Mids. flat, when I play by myself, a little boosted when I add a couple of guitars, and full when I wanna hear my harmonics, tapping etc.

Hi's: Anywhere between 50 and 95, never really 100 percent

Low's: I leave the low's a little short of full most of the time.

But when I play with the mids on full I find it makes it sound a little muddy and not as sweet,
    Doesn't sounds "right" with that much mid

4. full lower-mids, with a very raw tone.. sounds like a killer for my kind of music :)

5. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Here are my E.Q. Settings on my Stingray 5:
    I change the settings during the Set of my band, so here is the standard setting:

Hi: Flat
    Mid: 10% Boost
    Low: Full Boost

For slower songs with Accustic Guitars I go:

Hi: 5% Cut
    Mid: Flat
    Low: Full Boost

If I want great pick sound, I still go

Hi: 20% Boost
    Mid: 5% Boost
    Low: 30% Boost

But most of the time I stick with boosted lows.

David

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well, i ment what ibanez would cut though better, not your settings, but, whatever. I tryed alldox's settings, very nice, it cuts pretty good. but whould another ibanez do it better? (than the btb)

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i like the new ATK too. they are really nice basses and i prefer them to the btb which are really good, but i feel a little bit unfortacle with the body shape