1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez BTB/ F# tuning

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZephyrChills, Aug 18, 2012.

1. ZephyrChills

ZephyrChills

Aug 5, 2012
    I'm highly considering buying a btb776pb. But I have a few questions lingering in my head. First of all, can the bass handle a low F# standard tuning this includes the pickups mainly? Also how is the fretboard spacing for someone with smaller hands?

I've played a Cirrus 6 string(I don't want one though/my neighbor has one if I feel the urge) so that might be a good comparison to speak of.

2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Well the pickups need a change in my holy opinion, cause they are import Barts.. The neck is not very big, but it sure feels solid. As long as you tweek the neck enough it'll be alright. String spacing is 16.5 mm, so you can handle it ;)

3. I've played a few BTBs but not that particular one.

I think that it would be a good bass for F# as far as construction and scale length go. The stock electronics may not be the best for tuning that low, but who knows... can't say I've tried it.

I have a Cirrus 6 and in comparison BTBs are beefier, heavier basses. Although the string spacing at the bridge is similar for both 6 strings, the BTB neck is wider at the nut and thicker front to back. The Cirrus has one of the most comfortable 6 string necks around and would definitely be better suited for someone with small hands IMHO. And if the rest of you is small as well the overall weight of the instrument might be worth considering too.

4. String spacing is not 16.5, that is SDGR spacing.

BTB's are 19

5. Now that's what I thought... I wanted to fact-check myself so I looked at the Ibanez website before I posted. I couldn't find the spec there. Googling gave me 17mm as the spacing for BTB 6 strings. I know from experience that the BTB 5 strings are 19mm, but online merchants are listing 17mm as the spec for 6 strings.

6. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Hmm.. Well I always thought for the 6 string BTB's the spacing was somewhere around 16.5 or 17 mm...