Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez BTB or Warwick Rockbass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shootah, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Shootah

Shootah

Jul 23, 2005
    North Olmsted, OH
    A couple of questions. Has anyone ever played the Ibanez BTB-555MP NTF bass. I like the new BTB's, but they don't have the plain Natural finish that the bass above has. Also, I was wondering if the rockbass's by Warwick actually sounded like the more expensive Warwicks. I am leaning toward the Ibanez just because I like the wood look, I like the string spacing and the look of the body, and I don't really like how the warwick rockbasses are crazy colors, not just wood like the others. Anyway, I was just wondering if people could size them up for me, and give opinions. I am sure these two basses are questioned alot, but it's nice to hear fresh opinions. Thanks.

P.S.- Just got into playing bass again after a two year hiatus. I am finding the 6 String I played at the time isn't too my liking anymore.

2. Personally, I'd go for the Ibanez...

If it feels better for you then I'd go with that. I'm not really a fan of the Warwick Rockbasses. If you want a Warwick then save up a bit and got for the 'real deal' and not a Rockbass !!

Good luck !!

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Definitely the Ibanez. I have to agree with 7string, the Rockbass leaves a lot to be desired.

Dan

4. The BTB is great for the money, and great over all.

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  6. Ive got a BTB 405QM, not the same, but still a beast :)

7. on another note, whats the BTB 555, ive never heard of or seen it

and that BTB 1000 sure is nice!

8. Shootah

Shootah

Jul 23, 2005
    North Olmsted, OH
    I would check out that ebay one, but I am looking for a 5er. Anyway, from what I can see, the BTB 555 looks identical to the 405, except it comes in that awesome natural look. I dunno if this link is gonna work, but here it is:

BTB 555

The price for this bass is almost too good to be true. The GC around my house had one of these a while back, I think I played it and liked it alot. So I am going to check it out tomorrow.

9. ah fair enough, i must say i prefer my black quilted maple top really, its just something about it appearing a different colour in different lights :)

only thing about btb's, ive seen/read about this a few times, the netrik jacks arent as good as they are made out to be (cut out alot etc), i know ive got that problem with mine, but, it may just be pretty isolated, who knows :)

10. Shootah

Shootah

Jul 23, 2005
    North Olmsted, OH
    Ah yes, quilted tops are badass. My 6 has a QM top (YELLOW!), but I am just obsessed with the wood look. I dunno. And for around 460 USD, it seems like a steal. But alas, I need to figure out how seriously I am getting back into my instrument before I go shelling out half a g. Thanks ladies and gents, I am sure I will have more questions.

11. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Both my Conklins have those jacks and I've had no problem at all. Have you checked the solder joints on yours?

12. I havent actually, but i need to have a look inside it soon anyway, bad grounding problem aswell, may be related to the jack i spose (being active n all)

I cant remember seeing how to get into the jack when i took it out last, but, shall investigate further :)

13. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
  14. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
  15. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Go with the Ibanez; the Rockbass isn't really a Warwick, with no exotic woods, and so on.

16. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Maybe the Ibanez I had/have and tried had build quality, but some lacked in the tone department quite badly... Before you decide, try both through an amp

17. Meh, Ibanez is the under dog of the bass world really....a lot of people dog them, but IMO they're very good for the prices.

18. unrealrocks

unrealrocks

Jan 8, 2004
    I have the BTB 556QM (same thing just another string isn't it?), the feel and finish of the bass is really nice. The EQ is pretty good, although the bass has a full range and can be VERY deep on the B string it lacks any real 'signature' sound if oyu know what I mean - its a great all round bass to play a variety of it but if your after a certain sound it's not ideal. I've not had it long so I've still not hugely played around with it but I've been very impressed with it.