Ibanez BTB series basses (how are they?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stone Sour, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Stone Sour

Stone Sour

Dec 18, 2002
    Hey everyone, hope Im posting this in the right forum, but anyway.

I've been looking to buy a new bass and I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Ibanez BTB line of basses. How are they (specific things you like and don't like, I would really appreciate).
    I've always played a four string and been looking to possibly go to 5 strings, How are the BTB 5 string-ers? Good move-bad move to make the switch (I know it can depend on the person, etc)?

Thanks a lot.
  2. Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    I like the BTB's very much. I've seen two and played one. Both sounded incredible and had great tonal variety. I sat and watched a jazz master(at least 40 years old) for a good 45 minutes at the guitar store jamming away on one he was going to buy. The one that I played was set up with elixir strings and was pretty old; it had definately seen some use but it still sounded great and it was being used for metal. Great basses.

EDIT: I haven't had any experience with the 5s. And it would depend on what you're switching up from...
  3. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I had a BTB 405 for awhile... very nice bass for not a lot of money... it played great, felt very comfy, and I loved the string spacing... my only problem with the bass was the sound, which was probably the preamp. I could never get a sound out of it that i really liked. The BTB was supposed to be the backup to my Lakland 55-01, which had the upgraded preamp. THe BtB never would compare to the Lakland, which is probably not the most fair comparison on the face of the earth... get one, swap out the preamp, and possibly the pickups, and I will bet that could be one killer bass!

4. Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    The BTB 515 and 1005 have the bartolini electronics and pickups which make it sound oh so much better. Maybe I was just playing on a real good amp (which helps as well) but the 515 I played one time was a beauty. If I had the cash I would've bought it right then and there. Anycrap, yeah, the BTB series basses are real good basses. The B isn't wobbly on the 5's either. Nice and tight, nice sound, it's all good. At least for the 515 model. I haven't played the 1005 model, but it should only sound better.

I think this has to be the 3rd or 4th comment I've made about my fav. BTB basses this month so far. :D
  5. I've played a BTB 515 once. It was an honest bass ... I found it had no real personnality, event though it felt comfortable. The controls felt "bad quality" ... and too many controls for my taste. But I have to say I tried it just few seconds after a Pedulla Rapture ... which costed less (that's why I bought it).
    Nevertheless, I think that it can be a good bass ...
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yes, the BTBs are ok. But to me, if you want a 5er, I'd shoot for an MTD Kingston 5. Those have the best Bs under $1000, bar none. They play the BTBs under the table. They run for about 450 from Access Bass and Bass Central.

Can't beat em. The only think the BTB might have on them is active electronics, but believe me, the MTD'll do you right. Just EQ with the amp, not the bass.
  7. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    I've got the ol' pre-Bartolini BTB510 with the Ibanez pickups and innards. I love it. I don't like the electronics on the new ones. I like that ol' Ibanez system with the paramid knob. Gos as low as most people would ever want to go. I've seen the model I have go for as low as 300.oo on ebay. Best used deal going if you ask me. I often tune down a step and the strings stay nice and tight.
  8. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I played around with a 1005 for a couple of hours before deciding not to buy it. It was the newer model with the Bart's. I liked the feel, but like pm mentioned I was unable to dial up a sound "that I like" from it. I was playing it through an SWR Redhead at the time.
  9. Stone Sour

Stone Sour

Dec 18, 2002
    Thanks for all of your input, I'll keep you posted on what I end up buying ;)
  10. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    yeah, i have playing experience with btb 4,5, and 6 strings. i love the 4, well, any 4, the necks are so thin, even on the btb, they usually tend to be bigger... but yeah, its only i think $600$ on musicianfriend.com, if you are looking for a 6 the 6 string is also really nice. great sound for a cheap price
  11. DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    I have a BTB405, and for the price, they play very well... They arent the lightest of basses tho, so be careful of that! :)

DC :)