Ibanez BTB series basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, May 20, 2005.

1. ...Anyone have any opinion of any of the BTB basses Ibanez produces? pros? cons? likes/dislikes?

Any input is appreciated,
    thanks, ryan.
  2. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I own a BTB 405QM and it`s a great bass for the money.
    The overall quality is above the average Ibanez.
    Has some nice features: wide string spacing, 35" scale, good preamp with sweepable mids and neutrik jack.
    The B string is decent (not one of the best ones, but it`s Ok)
    and you can dial a wide variety of tones, usable for different genres of music. Keep in mind that is quite heavy

Those ones equipped with Bart pickups (stock ones are a bit dull) and superior woods are even better.
  3. Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Decent basses. Good value for the money. The 1000 series BTB's are very nice.
  4. fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    My favourite Ibanez bass( second favourite - Ibanez ATK).
  5. Been using a BTB515e which wasnt in production long. It's got a mahogany body with Bartolini's. After a couple years of use I'd say that I'm very pleased with it. It has kept me from getting anything else. I cant justify buying a 2000+ dollar bass simply because my playing doesnt warrant one.
  6. sam larson

sam larson Guest

May 20, 2005
    i have been playing a btb400 for the past three years, partially because i haven't saved up enough to afford a new one and because the sound is pretty damn good for the money. the bass i play is an earlier model, 2000 or 2001 i believe which means it still has the EMG pickups. i would prefer the bartolinis but what i like about the old model is the tone knob for the highs. they did away with this later and replaced it with a toggel switch. i think it is a good beginners bass but will soon find yourself wanting to move on after a while.
  7. DonovanBankhead

DonovanBankhead Banned Commercial User

Aug 25, 2001
    Springfield, MO
    Owner - FretSpot.com; Vice President - Springfield Music
  8. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Nice basses, good value for the money. Even the cheaper ones sound really good.

Necks feel huge to me so I don't like playing them and I'm not crazy about the body style either. But it's not about me. If you like it go for it.
  9. form52

Mar 17, 2005
    I have the BTB406.
    Very nice bass. Especialy when you consider how much it costs.
    It's balanced well and has a huge range of tones.
    To me the string spacing is perfect.
    Not to close, not to wide.
    I'm not a fan of the jack, however. Mine has cut out more than a few times. Easy to fix, but still a pain in the @**.
    Some people think it's a pretty heavy bass, I however think the opposite, considering it's a pretty large bass. Big body on a 35" scale. The neck is pretty thin, which is something I really like.
    The B string leaves a bit to be desired, but I found that using a thicker string for the B helped resolve some of those issues. Instead of using a .130, I bumped it up to a .135.
    Out the door, it needs some neck and bridge adjusting, but once it's set up it stays that way. The neck is VERY stable and holds on right were you put it. I've played some basses that you have to re-adjust the neck on every six months or so. I haven't had to once on this one after I got it set up the way I like it.

But as much I love this bass, it's no longer my main instrument.
    I replaced it in my lineup with the Schecter Stilletto Studio 6.
    It has a much deeper, 'woodier' sound to it.
    If you're looking for a more affordable, pro quality bass, I'd go with the Schecter over the Ibanez. They are pretty much the same price. I think the Ibanez cost about $10 less than the Schecter.
  10. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I'm not a huge Ibanez fan, but I've been pretty impressed with these basses...especially for the money. I like a pretty wide string spacing, and compared to the SR basses, they feel good in my hands.
  11. Personally, I find the BTB Series overrated. They are good basses but there's better you can buy with that kind of cash. Grab a G&L L-2000 with a Maple neck and just try to put it down again. I couldn't and now i'm in debt but I have a beautiful instrument
  12. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I have to agree with Yoghurt....I had a BTB 510...non bart model. I was pretty happy with it ...then I decided to go 5 string...I tried a BTB 1000 series 5'er that was pretty nice. However I then picked up my Lakland 55-01...far superior of a bass, (in my opinion). Also it was cheaper...just wished I had gotten the 55-02 now!
  13. Can anyone give me any info on the Ibanez BTB305BG???? I've always liked this bass, and when Ibanez axed it I was very sad :(. I found them on ZZOUNDS.com for $320 and out of 17 ppl, it got a 9.7. Sounds pretty promising to me. So, what do you guys think????

14. Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I have a BTB406QM that is my main and only bass. Like others have said, the B string isn't great, but it's not bad at all either.
    The string spacing is perfect for me, the neck is the right width, and the EQ let's me get almost every tone I want out of it (which is then ruined by my amp).
  15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I started off playing an Ibanez GSR, and the BTB was the first expensive bass I bought. I loved it. I had the frets removed, and it really sounded nice with flats on it. I moved on to a modern rock band, and the bass no longer suited my needs so I sold it. I never had any problems with the bass, and many people commented that it sounded and looked good.

I think Ibanez gets knocked around this forum by alot of people, and sometimes for a good reason. The BTB's are an exception. Mine was a well made bass, with some nice features.