Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez BTB series question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mazinger, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    The 500 series are made in Japan and the 300-400 are Korean. Right?

If this is true can you tell the difference in quality?

2. i've played a 515e, 300bg, 400QM, and 405QM BTBs and the 500 series is a significantly better instrument. there is no comparison in tone and playability.

whereas the 500e series has bartolini pickups and NTMB preamp, the 300 and 400 series have ibanez. the bartolini is a marked improvement in sound. the ibanez vari-mid preamp in the 400 series is fairly harsh to my ears. the only pleasing, repeatable tones i got were with the pots centered. the 300bg pickups and preamp sounded fairly nice, but not nearly as full and round as the bartolini.

i also preferred the feel of the 515e and 300bg to the 400s. the 400 and 405 felt very stiff and uncomfortable -- like the finish contributes more to its feel than the wood. the 300bg felt pretty comfortable, and the 515e felt very comfortable in comparison. it had a much smoother, more organic feel to it that "breathed" more than the 400s.

i would like to play a 1000e. i was trying to find a used 510e for a while, too, but since i got my new cirrus BXP, i have no need for a new bass for quite a while. i really enjoy the higher end BTBs, though.

robb.