Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez BTB Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Timbo, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I've been looking ( gasing ) at these lately and I'm wondering what you guys think of them? I'm debating if I wanna take a trip to GC to look at em ( hour and a half away ).

2. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I had a BTB405 once that I sold to get what I thought I wanted at the time...now that bass is gone, too. I never got the midrange to work the way I wanted it, but other than that, it's Ibanez' best line of basses in my opinion.

3. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    The only Ibanez BTB series bass I have played is the BTB1205. IMO, it is a very nice bass and reasonably priced.

Ted

4. Amazing tone, especially for the price. I used one for a couple years before switching to a 4 string Spector. There are things about it's design that I find very uncomfortable now, but never noticed before. Basically, they're quite heavy, and the bodies are really wide. As I said, this never bothered me before, but I've become accustomed to a more curved smaller body shape. If you play on one for long enough you'll get used to it though, and again, they sound awesome. When I focus more on the bridge pickup and boost the mids, I can get a really burpy growly tone out of my BTB; almost a Jaco-ish type of sound.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    My favorite Ibanez', by far.

6. I've got a BTB 405 that I played for years, I have since gone back to 4 string for a main axe and will probably be selling the BTB soon. lots of tonal variation available in those things. I just prefer the narrower string spacing and lighter weight of my Schecter 5 string, other than that its a great bass.

7. I own a BTB400 ( have for three months now)

I need to get it set up, but the neck is quite wide (wider than a P imo) and the scale length combined with this makes it a bit trickier to play than your typical 34" Soundgear or similar.

That said, it has quite good tone (a bit "sterile" but think sterile as in active) and a very good preamp, and it looks quite good.

I have a LOT of fretbuzz where I shouldn't - I just need to pay the $30 or so to get it setup.

8. What did people think of the BTB300, both the original J-style and the later dual-humbucker models?

9. i really dig the BTBs, the older BTB300's were great, the single coil ones with the two band eq's

this years updated models look great!
    [​IMG]
    bart mk1's with the vari-mid 3 circuit