Ibanez BTB Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Timbo, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I've been looking ( gasing ) at these lately and I'm wondering what you guys think of them? I'm debating if I wanna take a trip to GC to look at em ( hour and a half away ).
  2. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    I had a BTB405 once that I sold to get what I thought I wanted at the time...now that bass is gone, too. I never got the midrange to work the way I wanted it, but other than that, it's Ibanez' best line of basses in my opinion.
  3. T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    The only Ibanez BTB series bass I have played is the BTB1205. IMO, it is a very nice bass and reasonably priced.

4. Amazing tone, especially for the price. I used one for a couple years before switching to a 4 string Spector. There are things about it's design that I find very uncomfortable now, but never noticed before. Basically, they're quite heavy, and the bodies are really wide. As I said, this never bothered me before, but I've become accustomed to a more curved smaller body shape. If you play on one for long enough you'll get used to it though, and again, they sound awesome. When I focus more on the bridge pickup and boost the mids, I can get a really burpy growly tone out of my BTB; almost a Jaco-ish type of sound.
  5. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    My favorite Ibanez', by far.
  6. I've got a BTB 405 that I played for years, I have since gone back to 4 string for a main axe and will probably be selling the BTB soon. lots of tonal variation available in those things. I just prefer the narrower string spacing and lighter weight of my Schecter 5 string, other than that its a great bass.
  7. I own a BTB400 ( have for three months now)

I need to get it set up, but the neck is quite wide (wider than a P imo) and the scale length combined with this makes it a bit trickier to play than your typical 34" Soundgear or similar.

That said, it has quite good tone (a bit "sterile" but think sterile as in active) and a very good preamp, and it looks quite good.

I have a LOT of fretbuzz where I shouldn't - I just need to pay the $30 or so to get it setup.
  8. What did people think of the BTB300, both the original J-style and the later dual-humbucker models?
  9. i really dig the BTBs, the older BTB300's were great, the single coil ones with the two band eq's

this years updated models look great!
    bart mk1's with the vari-mid 3 circuit