Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez BTB vs. Spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by David-Adler, Jun 16, 2001.

1. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Hey,

I just wanted to hear several thoughts about Spectors and Ibanez BTBs.

I´ve played a very nice Ibanez BTB405QMTK and liked it very much, but I also played a Spector NS5CR and liked it even more.

Do you think the European Spector is worth the extra $$ ?

Thanks in advance,

David

2. Well yeah, but the BTB is also awesome. I wouldn't class them as the same, but the BTB should cost a lot closer to the Spector than it does.

I actually plan to own both of these basses at some point, simulateneously, because I love them both. The exact same models too. You can get a BTB1005 that is something like an alternative to the Spector in price, the Prestige model of the BTB range. But it basically comes down to this: do you want the extra cash? The BTB is indeed a killer instrument, but the Czech is better. However, won't that extra cash be great to put to something else(new rig, bass)?

I'd buy the BTB, then buy the Czech whenever I could. But you already know that:D

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    the ibanez btb is a great bass. but the czech spector is in my opinon better, much better. i played them both, along with an atk. they were great, but i choose the spector without excessive mumbling. deeper sound, big neck and much better workmanshp. the only thing that could you nake choose the btb is the neck ena the weight of the spector, this is an heavy bass with big neck. not for the litle hands boys. i 'm referring to the 5 strin btb and the 5 strin ns5cr, no experience with the 4.
    good luck and let me know what you'll decide

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    IMO, The BTB is the best bass that Ibanez makes but you're comparing it to an almighty SPECTOR!!!!! :D If you can afford it, I'd go with the Spector. (duh:p) The Chech Spectors are EXCELLENT. They're very close in the quality you will find in the USA made one's.

5. Oy !

what difference does it make if the bass is made in Europe, or in America ?

Or is it another 'american pride' thingy ?

6. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Okay, here´s the flash:

US-Spectors:
    EMG CS Soapbars
    Abalone Crown Inlays
    AAAAA Quilted / Flamed Maple Bodies

European Spectors:
    EMG DC Soapbars
    Pearl Crown Inlays
    AAA Figured Maple Bodies

David

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It dosen't matter to me where it's made, just as long as it quality. The USA models use higher quality maple, different electronics & totally hand made & the Czech's are "hand crafted (machine & hand built). Having both, I recomend the Czech model just because it's an excellent bass @ almost a 1/3 of the price.

8. The Ibanez BTB are pretty decent for the price range. The CR Spectors are a truly professional bass. If you can find a local dealer that carries both then I'd recommend you A/B them and see for yourself!

9. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    I did already compare them, but the price differnce isn´t that huge here in germany. The BTB could be mine for $700 and the NS5CR for $890.

So I think I´ll go with the Spector...

David

10. Here in the U.S. the price difference is more like $800 between the Ibanez and Spector. Being that Germany is much closer to the Czech Republic, you get a big price break. This is definitely a no brainer...SPECTOR!!!

11. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    No comparison, get the Spector.

12. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    No it`s not because germany is nearer. Its because a music store I know is located right next to the company that sells Spectors in Germany.

So if anyone is interested in a new european Spector. PM me, we can talk about it then and I´ll get it and ship it over to you.

David

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I own the BTB and I say...

Get the Spector.