1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez - BTB vs SR

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sgroh87, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

Dec 4, 2012
    DFW, Texas
    Ive been thinking about getting a six string bass for a while, and based on what I’ve heard & tried, Ibanez basses seem to be a good fit.

I’m trying to decide between the SR series and the BTB series (more specifically, the SRMS806 multi scale SR and the BTB846SC, the single cut BTB). I’ve played both of them and enjoy the both of them. They both use the same electronics and feel about the same weight. I liked the body shape of the BTB a little better, but I like the neck of the SR a little better.

I was just curious what the Ibanez owners on this forum thought. Between the two models, which do you prefer? Is there a reason why?

2. I've previously owned an SR3006ESOL Prestige and a BTB405QM. I preferred the SR. Lighter, smaller body, better tone, looked better. I regret selling it, but life is about moving forward.

pcake likes this.
  3. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I much prefer the SR body style.

I just bought the SRMS806, and couldn’t be happier. My left elbow is pleased as well (bought it to fight off persistent tennis/golfer’s elbow caused by the lack of ergonomics with 35” scales).

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  4. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    I own 2 BTBs (being one of these is a single cut) and 5 SRs.

I gig mostly with the BTB 5er, cause it has 19 mm string spacing which allows me to play slap bass lines cleaner (though it does not mean I cannot slap the 16.5 mm SRs). For gigging with non-slap related materials, I'll bring any of the SRs. Cause they are mostly lighter in weight, thus more comfortable for long hours of gigging.

One of my SRs is the previous fanned fret 6er SRFF806. It's the lightest (regular/long scale) 6 string bass that I've ever owned. It's only 3.8 kg. For the sake of comparison, my 5 string BTB single cut BTB685SC is 4.3 kg (IIRC, the 6 string version BTB686SC was in 4.5~4.8 kg range). I have no idea that the latest SRMS806 would be much heavier and comparable to the BTB846SC (which I assume not very different in weight from previous model BTB686SC).