Ibanez BTB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wyman, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Wyman

Sep 5, 2004
    Nashua, NH
    Is this bass really all that bad? Some of you might remember I was looking through Dingwalls(which I didn't love), Corvettes, and Spectors earlier. I also want to try an MTD Heir and a Peavey Cirrus V, but I haven't found either. But a friend recommended the BTB (5), and it really played quite nice. Loved the mid control with the active electronics. The neck was good, string spacing, B string...everything sounded pretty nice. It was sorta bright, but still got a good low end. Anyone have experiences with these?
  2. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I highly recommend them. I've got a BTB405 (See the Blue Basses thread for pics, and a BTB1000 that is absolutely hands down the best bass I've ever played. I'm currently GASing for a BTB1006, too. If you don't mind the chunky neck, it's a great bass.
  3. Stevious G

Stevious G

May 5, 2003
    I play the BTB 1005. The origional production year; pre Barts. It's a great bass. In fact, the only gripe I have with it is the tone. But as I already touch'd on, the 1000 series comes with Barts insted of the old stock Ibanez pups.

They are killer basses. Forget any Ibanez preconceptions you may have. A Soundgear they are not.
  4. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    That bad? I think they're awesome. Just gigged the hell out of one:
  5. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Notice the lasers shooting out of the headstock. Slight upcharge for that feature....

that's at the Brickhouse Brewery in Patchogue, NY by the way.
  6. i've played a (now discontinued) 515e. i loved it. it sounded really nice and felt great. the 1000e is in competition with the sterling for my next bass.
    i haven't as much enjoyed the 400 series BTBs. if i were buying, i'd steer clear of them, but plenty of others have enjoyed them. there are about a million 405s for sale on harmony central.

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Did somebody say they were bad? I've played a few in stores and have been 'gassing' ever since! I'm loving the wide string spacing espescially!
  8. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    I had a 510 with Barts, which I sold in a fit of stupidity. I've got an older 500 now that I'm selling in another fit of stupidity. I really like the feel of both of them, but I'm going all passive Fenders for now.

Glenn D.
  9. Been playing a BTB405 for a little over a year now, the berry quilt (purple) one. I was looking around for a 5'er in the 500-1000 price range and happened to stumble upon it in a little Mom and Pop store. Immediately caught my eye. And something clicked when I put my hand around the neck. Had to take her home.

Likes: neck (maple/walnut, mine has a bit of flame), wide string spacing (3/4" at bridge), weight (around 9 lbs, not bad for a big bass), tone (rather unique - don't let the basswood thing distract you), mono-rail bridge, 3-band vari-mid electronics, shape (anyone else notice it looks alot like an MTD 535? Checkout the headstock and horns...), dual truss rods, graphite nut. 18V active electronics.

Dislikes: satin chrome hardware has a tendency to tarnish in 2-3 months, but chrome polish brings it back. Finish is picking up some light scratches from my thumbnail when I change hand positions. Nut was rushed, a little too much glue and 1/32" too short on both sides. Also a little slop in the neck pocket. Output from active electronics is pretty weak for an 18V system - needed to use a BDDI to boost it a bit on some amps.

Overall, for $500, this was a pretty good buy. Compared it to a Fender MIM 5 (dull), Tobias Toby Deluxe (cheap), and MTD Heir 5 (pickguard chased me away). Also played a BTB300, which I also liked. Probably would not replace it but move up a notch. But a good 5 for the $. Also note: she's a big girl (35" neck, wide string spacing, pretty wide body) - if you like 'em large, they're nice.
  10. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Personally, I just got a used 405QM and think it's great. Admittedly, it ain't no 1005e, but for about a $300-400 (used) bass, I don't think you can even come close to beating it.

In short, regarding the BTBs, I recommend them... especially after messing around with the 405 and 1005 (which I've played, but don't own), but as always, try before you buy and see if they're right for YOU. In other words, no, they're definitely NOT "all that bad". :)
  11. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I've played a few, and really like them. I still would like to purchase the 1000 model. Really Nice!
  12. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    I've thought about selling my BTB 405 black quilt because of the wide spacing. I have small hands, don't slap and am having trouble adjusting. The tone variety is amazing. Intersted? Maybe around $400?
  13. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    I think they're fantastic. As mentioned earlier if you can get your hands on a Japanese made one you'll be even happier.
  14. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Do they still make them in Japan, do you have to be pretty lucky to find a Japanese version, i want one!
  15. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The only gripe you have with it is the tone? Isnt that the most important aspect of a bass? :eyebrow:
  16. Heya Figjam,

I see what Stevious has to say.

I happened to A/B the Pre Bart and Post Bart BTB 1005 series bass.. they are virtually the same.. just the pickups are the difference.. and what a difference they make..

Stevious, see if you can try it with Barts in them.. its a completely different animal.

I own a BTB406.. and for the price, it really is an awesome bass. The weak point for me is the stock Ibby pups.. I'll replacing them with Duncans plus an Aggie Pre. Maybe a refinish job later this year.
  17. Wyman

Sep 5, 2004
    Nashua, NH
    Thanks for all the feedback! These forums rock :)

The one I played was a 405, but I think I want to try the 1005e before I jump all over the 405. So no for now, bluemonk :-/ Thanks for the offer, though!

Hmm....I guess I just had bad preconceptions about Ibby cuz of all their crap metal guitars. Meh, I guess I shouldn't be so quick to judge ;) Anyways, I hope I can find a 1005e tomorrow; I'd really like the active pups...and the mahag body :D
  18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I was all set to buy a 406, because it was in my price range. Then I A/B'd it with a Cirrus. The tone of the BTB was totally lifeless compared to the Cirrus. So I saved up a couple of more months and bought a Cirrus 6.

The ones with the Barts sound much better, IMHO.
  19. Wyman

Sep 5, 2004
    Nashua, NH
    Would a 1006e with Barts beat out a Cirrus 6 ya think? I'm probably going to A/B a Cirrus 5 with a 1005e (if GC has one :rolleyes: ), but I'd like to hear other opinions ;)
  20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Not for me, but that is mainly because I prefer the sound of the Cirrus VFL pickups and preamp to most Barts, except for the ones in my Zon fretless. Most Barts are a little too smooth for me.But the basses are pretty close in build quality. The Cirrus has a slight edge, but the BTB is very good. And if you like the sound of Barts, you will probably love the Ibanez. The BTB also has wider string spacing, which is the one thing that I wish my Cirrus had.