Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez BtB1005 or Fender American Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jennifer Handy, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Jennifer Handy

Jennifer Handy

Dec 26, 2004
    I was given a wonderful Fender Jazz Bass for Christmas. I think I would prefer a Ibanez BTB1005, because I currently own an Ibanez SRX300 and I love it. Would trading the Fender Jazz be a mistake?

2. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Those basses are completely different animals. You will have to decide which one you like better.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You got a MIA fender for christmas? You are very lucky.

4. Hounddog

Hounddog

Dec 2, 2004
    Southern, Illinois
    Sadowsky Featured Artist
    If I cared about the person that gave me the Bass I would never think about parting with it. If I were you I would give it a chance. I dont see how anyone couldnt like the neck on a Fender Jazz. IMHO.

5. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Welcome to Talkbass jennifer. As people have stated earlier, they are two different animals. You have to asess what your needs are and make the decision based upon that criteria. Play both of them next to each other and make your decision based off of that. Hope that helps.

-Steve

6. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Thats gotta be a blow to the person's feelings that they spent all the money on it and you're going to trade it in...

But stick with what you like better I guess...

7. Jennifer Handy

Jennifer Handy

Dec 26, 2004
    they told me when i got the fender jazz that they would be happier if i had a bass that i was perfectly happpy with then if i just kept the fender.

i have owned a difrent fender and played diffrent ones before and i just didn't like the feal of them.

i currenty own an Ibanez and it is sweet, so thats why i was drifting towards a higher quality Ibanez rather than the fender.

8. I think this board mostly in agreement on keeping the bass recieved as a present that trading it in for something else you desire.

However, I got a chance to play that bass, and i also own a BTB406QM. And my option would be to keep the Jazz, And trade the Ibanez SRX in for the BTB1005e...

Later down the line, if you do end up selling/trading those basses for whatever reason, I think a Jazz will serve you well since they are always in demand. And i think that the BTB will hold its resale value much better than the SRX. But thats just my opinion.

Welcome to Talkbass.

9. Jennifer Handy

Jennifer Handy

Dec 26, 2004
    that sounds great but i cant afford both. this is a very hard decision. thanks for the help.

10. +1

+1

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you are going to go the Ibanez route, check out the SR3000E Please. it is a great bass.

12. RNG

RNG

Jan 9, 2004
    Conway,S.C.
    I never trade gifts. Esspecially if I care for that person. This is your descion though. Everyone on here plays different kinds of music nad hass different tastes in basses. A few of my favortie bass companies are Spector, Jackson, and B.C. Rich, I play mainly Doom/Stoner Metal. Some-one else may like Fender, Gibson, and Warwick and may play Jazz. We cannot give you good opinions that work for YOU. The best thing to do is go to the store with you Fender and play both of them, look at them, see how versatile they are. I think Fender is the most versatile though because everyone from Fear Factory to Black Sabbath to Jaco played them. And Fear Factories bassist has Monster tone from his Fender Jazz. But you need to do a compare and contrast on the two and decide from there.

13. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I agree.

The neck on a BTB will feel huge compared to a Fender Jazz or your SRX. It's very wide.

I own an SRX300 and a Fender Jazz(MIM). I like them both.

But the BTB in no way compares to the feel of the Ibanez SRX it's way different.

The BTB's sound good IMO but I can't come to grips with the way they play. You better play one before you trade your Jazz.

IMHO I would keep the Fender Jazz. They sound great and play really nice. It's a MIA so it will be worth more than the BTB on the re-sale end if you ever need to sell it.

14. The BTBs are very different from the Jazz, and just as different from the SRX. The SRX is like a Jazz bass in many ways. Thin, faster neck with narrow string spacing, smaller body, etc. The BTB goes all out with a wide, flat neck and larger, thinner body (IIRC). Either way, it's very different and worth trying first. The Jazz has a beautiful neck, but if you don't like the feel you might prefer the BTB. But chances are you'd prefer a high-end SRX or similar higher end Ibanez. You might like a Yamaha TRB too.

15. Jennifer Handy

Jennifer Handy

Dec 26, 2004
    Today i tryed out a btb1000 and it was AMAZING. I cant really decribe how sweet it was. so i think that im going to go with the trade.

and please stop trying to make feal guilty, it was my parent's idea (they were the givers of the bass) to trade it in if i didnt super duper like it, and i have there blessing.

so thanks for the imput, I have heard from most adults (older musicians, and a music store person) that it is all about the feal, and the btb1000 felt REAL GOOD, so i juat want one more string and im set.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have played the Ibanez you want to buy several times. I just recently acquired my first MIA Fender Jazz. I will never think of buying that Ibanez ever again. Really, I am surprised you like the Ibanez so much better.

Before you run out and do it, how do they sound? Don't get all caught up in buying a bass that immediately feels good, while ignoring the all important tone factor. How much playing time do you have on each bass? Have you given the Fender a fair shot, or is it already down a couple notches because of the feel factor?

-Mike

17. Jennifer Handy

Jennifer Handy

Dec 26, 2004
    I have tryed out the fender since Xmas morning (I was playing it all most all day both days) and I have tryed other fenders. It had a good sound, more twangy than the ibanez.

the Ibanez, only a few minuts in the store. but it had a nice, strong, smooth sound

I like both sonunds but because of the style of music the salesperson at a music store said that the Ibanez would be more fitting for the rock/metal music i like to play.

18. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    As long as you feal good about the salesboy's imput.

19. I wonder what the parents said to the salesboy when they went to buy it. I mean, why do you think the music store picked put a U.S. made jazz bass. I have my thoughts.

I knew a lady who wanted to learn bass becasue she liked mine. So she shows up at my place with a early 70's Jazz Bass. It was the one with binding on neck and badass bridge and the block inlays. Sunburst/rosewood. Like what made her pick that out over something like a modern high quality japanese bass?

I think a MIA Jazz Bass is one of the coolest presents one could ever get.