Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez BTB1206e, My new baby!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Drake Kennedy, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Ok, ok, so it's not exactly new. I've had it for about a month, but I've waited a while to do this, instead of immediately posting a thread about it. For this one, I definitely wanted some pics, and I really wanted to do a write-up after it had been broken in. But you know the main reason is that I was too busy playing it 24/7!

Before I go on with the review, I'd like to tell you a little backstory. In June or so, I was looking for basses. I needed a new one. I asked around on the forums, looked on every review site, and was pretty damn sure what I wanted. So I went to Guitar Center, knowing they didn't have it in stock, to order it. I placed an order, deposit and all, on a Sunday, and I get a call from my sales rep telling me that it's backordered from the factory, for about 3 months. All I could say was....!!!!!!!. That Saturday, I went back to the Guitar Center, to see if there was anything else I could go for, in the mean time. Joe(sales rep) and I discussed the BTB406, and we went with that, on kind of an 'extended rental.' So, after SIX months of waiting, I got a phone call from Joe, saying "Guess what we just got in?"

So...on with the bass!
    I took a bunch of pictures yesterday, some of them can show what i'm saying here. Linkage

First Impressions
    My first impressions were actually just that: Impressed. I was surprised by every aspect of this instrument, from the walnut truss cover, to the wood accents, to the abalone inlays, to the newer mono-rail. The Neutrik jack was tight, the body and neck joint were smooooth, the tuners were smooth and even, and all the knobs lined up. But, last but not least, the TOP. I'm not really a boutique bass player, but daaaaaaaaaamn! It's a really stunning flame, the only pics that do it justice are the ones taken at night. Even the headstock looks like a nice AA flame.

What Does She Sound Like?
    After I reclaimed my jaw from the floor, I started playing. And playing. The Bartolini pickups and EQ really shine, and there is just so much versatility. I'm not sure whether it's the electronics, or the mahogany body, or the neck through-ness, but this bass just seems...smoother than the 406.
    With some tweaking, you can get a fat slap sound, smooth jazz fingerstyle, a trebly 'Jaco' sound, and everything in between.
    So, How's She Play?
    The neck is beautiful. It's smooth, fast, and thin. The fingerboard doesn't appear to have a radius, but I can't tell without some tools. But the neck, wow, it's thin. Really thin and flat.
    The end of the fingerboard is curved on the BTB, an interesting feature. Most people think it's just for aesthetics, but that inch or so where the FB is cut away, that's right where my thumb found the sweet spot for slapping. And the only real downside to not having a full 24 frets all the way across is that when people say "How many frets you got?", I have to say "23 and a half."
    The body: amazing. The contours fit perfectly, and it's smooth and soft on the back, so it doesn't rub on your shirt. The lower horn is very effective, and it balances well when sitting, on either leg. The upper arm contour is in a sweetspot, and where the 'hip' is, is very comfortable to rest my hand when playing with my fingers. The body is also comfortable to slap on, the upper 'hip' doesn't get in the way of your elbow or arm, but is actually quite helpful.

Well, It Can't be All Good.
    I guess that's one way to see it, but it's damn close! The action isn't amazing, but it's nothing that can't be fixed with a good set-up. The only modification planned will be a walnut ramp, and some walnut/rosewood knobs. I might eventually go for some wood tuners, but we'll wait and see. I've noticed recently that the fingerboard seems to be picking up a lot of dust, and the grain looks really open. Maybe a quick clean is in order...

But, the long and the short of it: I love this bass. Period. It's one of the best instruments I've played, and the best instrument I own.
    What do you guys think? Pic comments?

One more thing, what would you reccomend to clean it, other than a dry cloth?

Attached Files:

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    How about a pic that shows that bass!

I've never been an Ibanez fan, but I have been pretty impressed with the looks of some of the new higher end models. I'll definitely have to play one sometime.

3. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    Congratulations. Nothing like a nice bass,...well almost nothing.

4. I've been here for 2 years and I'm still no good at pic posting...heheheh. Here's the link to my basspage, which is updated with new pics as I take them: http://homepage.mac.com/thecoolkid8/Bass/PhotoAlbum5.html
    If you can fill me in on how to post them here, I'd gladly put some up.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Here you go:
    [​IMG]

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Theyre kinda mssive, and thats a nasty toe in the corner :(

7. Thanks fig.
    That last shot of the flame really shows it well.

8. I recently bought the same bass as well.

It's nice.

9. Congrats, Coolkid and marcusalan.

It just so happens that Sam Ash had a 5 string and a 6er both in excellent condition in their Manhattan store yesterday.
    I was tempted to check them out, but didn't.

After reading this, I might go back and check them out.

Good luck with them.

Mike ;)