Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

IBANEZ BTB400QMHS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vosk, Jan 13, 2006.

1. [​IMG]

IBANEZ BTB400QM

It plays really well, and the finish is particularily nice compared to what I expected. The craftsmanship I would have to say is very good, I noticed a spot of dried glue near a fret but nothing to worry about.

The Ibanez pickups function very well, and the active 3 band does its job very well.

IMO, it gets a very stingray like tone with settings at basically flat, and with balancing of the pickups and a bit of mid adjustment it can turn into a presentable J or P upon request. For the price I got it for, there is very little that can challange it as a modern bass. If there is one charictaristic, its sound is more bright than dark, but again with the EQ you can change it around so much that whatever tone you want (within reason) you can get pretty close to it.

I'll write a proper review once it all sinks in.

More pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. The BTB's are truely nice basses, i love mine to bits, only problem i ever have is with the jack, but that seems to be a fairly common downfall with some of them

- Will

[​IMG]

3. I'm very happy with my BTB515e. I'd definately say it is a very "dark" sounding bass, which works well on alot of stuff. Craftsmanship is absolutely top knotch. It looks like it is in a much higher price range than it is. The wood, finish, and neck are all better on this bass than many more expensive brands I've played on.

4. What is with the jack? mine is pretty good, it just crackles a little until it gets settled. My cable is f*cked, though.

5. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Congrats on the BTB... these are sweet basses, Ibanez RAWKS!

6. I get alot of crackle from mine if it moves at all, its isnt a cable thing tho, almost like the jack is a fraction too wide or something

7. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    I have a 6 string one of these. I've been tootling on it a lot recently, but it could do with some new strings at a higher gauge to gets its ballsy punchy tone back.

8. I'm not real big on ibanez, but thats a nice looking bass. Congrats

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I've never been an Ibanez fan, but I'm getting more and more attracted to the BTBs

10. In person, the finish isn't as garish as it is there. The finish is more subtle than you think. The first pic captures it the best imo

I will post soundclips later as well.

11. tomfouts

tomfouts

Jan 4, 2006
    Boston, MA
    congrats! I have a BTB and I LOVE it:cool:

[​IMG]

:D

12. I can attest to the 400QM having Stingray-esqe tone @ flat setting. I have that (no HS, all red unfortunately) and a BTB 405QM. The 5'er is much darker (which is a decent setup to my growly mids) at a flat setting (still looking to upgrade the P/Us though). My 400QM has a much hotter signal (really raw at times-Lemmy would love it :) ) ...

13. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    I have a BTB 506(i think it's a 506). The body is made of Maple, walnut or mahogany, and then maple, with a maple neck with skunk stripes. It has the 3 band EQ. I'm wondering what model it is. If anyone could tell me, how should I set my mids on it, as sometimes they get too farty, and at other times they get to bright and twangy. I'd like a dark rich growly tone, as XtraLongScale mentioned. Any help would be great!

14. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    Mine is the model down from that!

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Both looks and sound Smash. As far as looks, I really would prefer a non "quilted" top, but as you mentioned, it is rather subdued and I can live with it. I already know I love the feel of these basses. I'm very eager to try another to see if the bad B issue was just an isolated incident.

16. Yeah, i noticed how they always come out purple-ish in pictures, mine does have a bit of a purple tint to it, the finish is very subtle

HS is Honey Sunburst, i dont think they do that finish on the 6's anymore :(

I really want the ibanez hardcase for mine, but apparently due to licensing they cannot be exported from the us or imported to the UK at all, which sucks :meh:

17. What I'm suspecting (and I could be wrong) is varying degrees of quality control for the electronics over the course of the BTB line's production history. My experience is strictly with the Korean made BTB's. I would imagine the Japanese produced ones would be more tonally consistent from bass to bass. Again, just my speculation.

18. So, it has a locking jack, but it is a very sensitive jack. Any suggestions for making it not crackle every time I touch the damn cable?

19. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    The jack is a standard Neutrik item, you might want to just consider replacing it. Should be about $7 . . . .

- Tim

20. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    I got a BTB 400 in Blueburst. I absoulutly love that bass. It replaced the Schecter studio 5 I had. I think the BTB is warm and fuzzy sounding. It leans more toward the modern tone but you can coax just about anything you want from it with some EQing. I like this bass so much, I want to get an SR 400 next. :hyper: