Ibanez BTB405 VS Cort Artisan B5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by i2k, Nov 1, 2001.

1. i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    Hi all...this is my first post after a long hiatus....
    Currently I'm looking for an affordable 5 stringer (price rage around 500 - 600 US$), and I've narrowed my choice into Ibanez BTB405 and Cort Artisan B5. I think both are Korean made.
    Which one is the better one (playability, reliability, stability & sound ?).
    Personally, IMO Cort comes with such great features (exotic woods:ash & wenge, Bart's electronics, etc). I just not too confident, as I don't have any experience w/ Cort products.
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Man, that's a tough choice. Besides the MTD Kingston 5, those are IMHO the 2 best basses in that price range.

The BTB is killer. but I think that the wenge neck and Barts give the Artisan the edge. But I thought that the Artisan was discontinued.:confused:

How good is Cort? They build a lot of the Korean models, such as Ibanez(I don't know if they build the BTB, but they probably do), Cort Curbow, Conklin Groove Tools, just to name a few. They do turn out some lower priced junk, but they make some really nice stuff too, for the price.
  3. I've got a BTB405QM-TK, which is official transparant black, but to me it seems more like a very dark shade of purple.

It has a pretty wide fretboard, and monorail bridges, both a very good feature tone-wise, but if you have small hands, this is not the bass for you.

it has 35" scale, also a huge plus, specially for the B-string.

The greatest power of the BTB is the EQ.. which is the most versatile ever seen on a bassguitar. you can go from fender-like, to musicman-like and back to concklin-like... very nice..

Am i satisfied with it ?
    well.. i'm getting a BTB-logo tattoo next month, enough said :D
  4. i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    I don't think Cort discontinued Artisan, at least they still have it on Cort website and there is an online music store in my country offer it.
  5. i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    Yesterday I went to a local music store, saw a BTB405, and got the opportunity to test it.

I'm completely agree that BTB has a very nice electronic, thanks to its mid contour control. But its too weak for a 18v.

The playability was suck, at least compared to my old 4 string Status Graphite, because the strings are too high. Tapping is nearly impossible on this setup. I think the action needs an attention.

This is a light bass for a 5 string and has good finish. Overall construction is good, except for the battery compartment, I prefer flip model from Gotoh.

I will come back to the store later and see if they can setup this bass to my preference, if they can do it, this bass will be a good choice for me.
  6. pumo420

Nov 2, 2001
    the btb is a better choice because of the 35 inch scale witch will help the low b like AllodoX. im a huge fan of ibanez though. the cort nb5 is not that bad the neck is alil wider than the ibanez.. its also based on your personnal preference too.
  7. I think that the BTB 405 is a killer bass for the money. I use mine as much as I use my StingRay 5 basses.
  8. i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    How stable is the neck ? Is it wenge and maple on the neck ? What is the nut material ?