Ibanez BTB405QM vs. Ibanez SR-885

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BASSnSAX, Jul 22, 2001.

1. BTB405QM

5 vote(s)
  2. SR-885

2 vote(s)
  1. Does anybody have any opinions between the two? Like which has a bigger string spacing or better, punchier sound? Does the 18volt electronics make a bigger difference than the 9 volt?
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

No contest, IMHO.

The electronics and pickups in the BTB are better, the B string is better, the BTB has wider string spacing, which I prefer(you may like narrow spacing for all I know) and if I were the one spending the money, I wouldn't even consider the SR.
  3. oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    BTB wins no contest. Better everything.
  4. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    BTB all the way imo. It sounds, feels, and looks better to me. It has a bigger string spacing (which I think encourages better fretting-technique anyways). The scale length is 35" so the b-string is tight and sustain is great through the entire instrument. The b-string I have on it right now really sucks (I need to get new strings, but I'm cheap/lazy), but it does work great. I'm sure if I had a decent pair of strings on it it'd sound a billion times better. The g-string is closer to the edge of the neck than the one on my four string and I accidentally fretout sometimes, but my bad technique is not the fault of Ibanez so that really shouldn't be held against the bass.

The pickups and preamp are superior, imo. I can get a whole bunch of different tones out of the bass. The mid-sweep changes the color of the tone. IMO you can get about any sound you want from the electronics (including some you might not want ;))

I like the bridge a lot. String changes are much easier and safer for the body due to the bridge design - it is at least for a clumsy fool like myself ;)

The body style doesn't seem to be very popular with people (most seem to prefer the SR's body shape) but I like how it looks a lot! I think it looks a lot cooler than the SR.

So anyways, there's my rambling for y'all, enjoy :)
  5. Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    IMO the BTB is way to big to play comfortably. Although it sounds nice, I prefer the sleek soundgear (which doesn't sound half bad ;) )