1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez BTB505

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mattmuffler, May 10, 2006.

1. mattmuffler

mattmuffler

Jan 3, 2006
    howzit going everyone. hey im looking at buying a BTB505 but i dont know what they are like. can anyone tell me. Im also not sure wether i want a four or five string. i have a five string that im borowing for a short wile to try out, but i dont know what to do to find out, or wether it would make a difference or just get in the way. if any one could give me some help it would be much appreciated

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater

May 20, 2005
    Never played one, but just so you'll know Musicians Friend is blowing them out right now for cheeep.

3. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    arent those the 405's that musiciansfriend are doing cheap?
    i want a 555

4. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    I just bought a BTB555MP. I normally HATE Ibanez basses but I played this one and it was made very well and it sounds fantastic. I Had a SX 5 string prior and the Ibanez feels 10x better in my hand. It has a very functional tone in a rock/metal/alternative/progressive and probably other genres as well as having solid solo tones. If you do tap harmonics it's great because it's got a 3-band eq that will allow you to dial in the exact "warmth" or "snap" that you want to get from them. I'm a fingerstyle player and there is no need to grab a pick to get that extra bite. I recomend playing the one you plan on buying and looking it over very carefully. I still don't trust just any off the shelf Ibanez. I think it takes some searching to find the good ones.

5. mattmuffler

mattmuffler

Jan 3, 2006
    sweet as bro, thanx heaps

6. The original BTB 500 series was a Japanese made model introduced I think in the 2000 model year. Two years later, they must've decided to move the production to Korea, and thus the BTB 400 series came about. Pretty much the same instrument, AFAIK. I checked out a used 505 a few years ago, and A/B'd it with a 405. Only difference I could find was the finish. The 505 was available only in the "WNF" (walnut flat) and "TKF" (transparent black) finishes. The 405 introduced the "quilted maple" look to the line (gotta be photoflame, right?) and originally came in trans black and blueburst (yech!). Then it morphed into only trans black. Sure would be nice to have an amber or natural or sunburst of some kind, but that's Ibanez. The change to Korea made the bass a bit more affordable. But since Ibanez wanted to put Bartonlinis in it standard and change the model number to 455, Musician's Friend had their blowout sale, and I picked one up for $349.99. Wow! What a nice bass for the price. I'm giving it spot number one for my initial summer gigging. A good two pickup bass, and great B string (35" scale). The hardware is fine. No problems yet. I thought I was going to go the entire 45 day return period before deciding whether or not to keep it, but I think it's too good to be without at this point

7. Ibanez is, in my mind, becoming the industry standard when it comes to quality control, and affordability (or, bang for buck.) I don't think that I can think of one thing that I don't like about what Ibanez has on the market today. Great basses, for great prices. Basses, than can virutally be used for any style of music, by any level of player, and in any setting. I say go for it man, the Mk1's sound nice to my ear, and the basses don't look half bad either. However, I would like to at least reccomend you try to take a look at a Cort Artisan B5. I was sold on Ibanez before any other brand, then I played the B5 (and A5) and my opinions changed. Not that I'm bashing the Ibanez, but I am in love with the Cort Artisan lineup, just amazing basses. (However the prices don't even compare with MF's blowout sale!)

-ryan-