Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez BTB510

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maxian, May 21, 2005.

1. I was looking at the local guitar shop and saw a Ibanez BTB510 on the shelf. I picked it up and started playing it, and I have been looking for a new bass as of late. So heres the question, the price on it is 800$ but they said they will probobly give me a better deal. This is the second bass I have gotten and dont exactly know waht to look for in a bass when picking one out and I also dont know how much this should cost (It seems to be discontinued and none on ebay or anything). I know its a 2002, with active pickups. Does anyone own or has anyone played this bass before? Think its worth the 800 (or less). If so, can you tell me a price I should aim for? Is it worth the buy? As you can see I have a number of questions

Thanks

2. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    $800 eh? I bought one about 2 years ago for $600...I recently traded that one in and some cash at Low Down Sounds for a Lakland 55-01. Although it was a nice bass and I could dial in just about any tone I wanted...I just wanted to go 5 string and another BTB wasn't gonna do it for me.

The BTB came in a stock Ibanez pickup model and a Bartolini model...try to get the latter. I had the non Bart...the pick ups were passive...the preamp is active. I believe this is true for the Bart model as well.

Just don't pay $800 for it. Last year when I was trying to sell mine some website was blowing otut the Bart model for around 300 I bellieve!

3. 300?! So it sounds like I would be getting ripped off pretty bad huh?

Any specific questions you think I should ask the guys before buying? if its a bartolini model or not? Anything else?

4. Also by the way I am currently using the Fender Highway1 Jazz bass (mexican made) - do you think it would be a upgrade or downgrade?

5. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Yeah you can ask if Bart model or not...OR...just look at the pick up covers, it will say either BARTYOLINI across the whole cover or, Ibanez in one of the lower corners of the cover. I definately wouldn't pay that much. You could get so much better with that kind of money. Not that it isn't a good bass...just that there is better. Simple.

As far as the Jazz...I went from a Mexican Standard, with EMG's to the BTB...should have stuck with the Jazz...that's just me though.

In my opinion if you have $800 burning the proverbial hole in your pocket...get something better. Lakland, (partial), G&L as mentioned in a similar thread, Music Man, you may be able to get an Ameriacn series Jazz...not sure what they are running these days. I'm really not trying to bash the BTB...I've just been there done that is all.