1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez BTB675 review ....UBD!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by datsaxguy, Oct 12, 2013.

1. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    Used bass day!

Picked up a used Ibanez BTB 675 with a maple board so I thought I'd post a review. It was in pretty good shape, usual nicks and scratches.

Specs: Ibanez BTB675, made in Indonesia 2012, 5-string, 35" scale length, light ash body w. walnut top, natural finish, maple neck-thru-body, nut width 47mm, rosewood fretboard (24/23 frets), 15.7" fretboard radius, Bartolini MK2 pickups, Ibanez MR2 Monorail bridge (19mm string spacing), Bartolini active 3-band EQ, cosmo black hardware. Neutrick Jack.

I've seen the weight on these vary a lot from bass to bass, so I was pleased to find that the bass I got was about 9.5 lbs. They are usually somewhere near 10 lbs.

Tuners and volume pots all work very smoothly. The folks at GC were nice to setup the bass for me before I took it home. I had to set the pickup height on the neck pup upon further inspection but nothing a few turns of a screwdriver didn't cure. That really made a huge difference in the lows. Don't skip over that last sentence. That one thing really made the bass sing compared to the 2 other BTB675's in the store.

35" scale is surprisingly comfy. The neck has a little more meat than an a SR but just a smidge more than a fender "C" shape like the squier vintage modified. I played a squier at the store and got to A/B them on the spot. It has a nice natural/satin finish. Upper fret access is extremely easy, due to the deep cutaway and neck-thru. The bass has a warm tone when the EQ is set to neutral and is darker than you would think even with the maple board. The sound is It's really punchy too.

Sustain is great, without being excessive; notes ring on for a long time, if you want them to. The active electronics are noiseless and make a noticeable difference to the sound. The B-string is just as good or better than anything out there. I've had a couple Laklands and a couple Nordy's. This is the best B-string I've had, and I have it set up with Dunlop light nickels with a 120 on the B. The bass is pretty even from string to string.

My only complaint on this bass is the preamp. If you like a darker sound, you will like this preamp. If you wanna go hifi you gotta crank the treble to the max. There is nothing wrong with the preamp at all but a better preamp would make this bass perfect. I think I'm going to do a Aguilar OBP3 or a U retro in this.

You can't go wrong with this thing especially used. One of the better values out there used. l will update the thread once I change the preamp.

I took another thread and altered it to make this review quicker to post. Hope this was helpful

basslifter likes this.
  2. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Great basses for sure. Like many Ibanez basses everything is great but the electronics. I would do a Pre change for sure.

And no pics, no bass. ;)

3. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    I played the bass today and its so warm and growly. Its tough to get that "Marcus Miller" type tone out of it. Definitely have to go to my amp to get it. Sunbeams are waaaay brighter than Dunlop nickels

4. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    BTB.

5. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Lookin good.

6. Speaking of change...I love this bass. However, I can't say that I'm a fan of the Bartolini sound. The sound of the pickups are just too dark and muddy for my taste. I really had high hopes of changing the pups and pre to an EMG system. But unfortunately, the size of these barts and the pup cavities on this bass are non-standard and extremely difficult for aftermarket changes :meh:
    Any suggestions? Please help!!

7. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    Ok, I ended up putting an Aguilar OBP3 preamp in the bass. It made a huge difference. Am I floored, nah, is the bass now clear and articulate yes. It takes a lot to floor me these days. I have a newly acquired Pedulla Thunderbolt and a Nordy VJ5 to compare this thing to. The pickups are good in this bass, are they fantastic....NO! Is the bass worth having some custom pickup made....probably. The bass is really comfy, nice weight and I'm probably going to get some pups done at some point. This is my backup or airplane / vacation bass so it's not a priority. Some good pickups would make it special.

There is a BTB club thread where guys are altering pickup cavities but that's not the road I'm going down. I can't do the gaps on the sides. That would drive me nuts. The pup size for these is unusual and Bartolini does not carry the size that would fit this. If u get a bass used and get a pre and pickups this bass will hang with anything. U would end up somewhere around 1k going that route, I would put it slightly above the MTD Kingston line. I've had an MTD import, they are also great modding platforms.

8. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland

Lotsa guys make custom pups. If u like the bass that much, one of them will accommodate your tonal palate. I'm probably going to hit up Reed James or Carey Nordstrand for my bass at some point. I do like the wood covers Reed makes. The bass would look really unique.

9. Ok, I will look into that. for starters,I will ask SGD Lutherie to see if they can help. I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

10. punisher911

punisher911

Jan 20, 2005
    Clawson, MI
    I love everything about the newer BTB67Xs except the string spacing. The look and tone are great to me. I like to play different chord shapes on 6s and the wide spacing is killer on me. If I were a slapper, they'd be perfect. I think they are some of the best looking basses ever. I drool every time I see one.

11. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    The 676's are 18mm 675 = 19mm

12. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    2 years later and I just got a 676 to go with my 675. Dunlop Superbright strings are now on the scene and I've started building my own cabs again. My latest cab is on the HiFi side to compensate for the the bass. These basses paired with the Dunlop strings and my cabs are really something else. Just really muscular crystal clear tone. Most people turn up their nose at Ibanez but these BTB'S are not to be taken lightly. Recently a local player came over to buy a bass from me and tried my 675. He was just floored. I'm Glad the money exchanged hands first because that bass would have ruined my deal. A 675&676 with a 18v Aguilar OBP3 will always be in my arsenal, I'm a bass snob no more.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I had a BTB676, it was a solid bass. A major step up from the SR506 I had prior. My beef with mine was that several frets were cracking after a couple years of ownership. Oh, and the weight was horrible. An "evening with" wearing that thing was a straight back breaker. I did really like the tone out of it, it could get a very good mid-range bark. It is definitely a bass that I have thought about since selling.

datsaxguy likes this.
  14. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    I'm under 10lbs with both of mine and no issues with either bass yet. Did you have a fret problem with the latest "walnut" version or one of the previous iterations?

15. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Wow, I am amazed those are under 10 lbs. Mine was easily 11-12, maybe more. I replaced it with an LB76, about 10.5 lbs, and the difference in weight was major. The BTB motto is "big body, big tone" though, that tends to translate to "big weight." I bought mine in 2010-ish, maybe earlier. It was before SR506's had the mid-switch, so it was a few years ago.

16. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    I've also heard the Ibanez horror stories but their introduction of their premium lines seems to have improved the quality overall. I was going to get a 1406e but couldn't justify the expense when a used 676 came up for sale.

17. My 675, used, came with 6 string pickups from the factory. As a result, the A string sat over the coil gap so it sounded dead. I modded the cavities to fit real Barts and filled the end gaps with black epoxy putty so it looked OK from a distance.

18. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    I remember your mods and pics from the BTB club a while back. How do you like the bass now?

19. It was my primary bass until 2 weeks ago when I started playing around with bass ukes. I love the BTB quality, looks, string spacing and the long scale. I didn't notice a huge difference between the real Barts and the Ibby Barts but the preamp was an improvement. The level sound across the strings was the big plus.

My back was getting sore and my hands arent doing well with some of the stretching reaches so I decided to try one of the cheap Rondo solid bodybass ukes. I spent the last two weeks modding the crap out of it. It sounds really good now.

I started commuting by bike to work and the pounding on my wrists is taking a toll so I'm looking for something easy on the back and wrists.