1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez BTB676 vs Peavey Grind BXP 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chaotick, May 31, 2011.

1. BTB

27 vote(s)
    71.1%
  2. Grind

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  1. chaotick

chaotick

Aug 15, 2006
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Both have pros and cons but the big ones I see are:

Ibanez has Bartolini Electronics
    Peavey Grind is almost half the price

I like that they are both 35" scale, neckthrough, and have a slim, fast neck.

----------

I'd probably buy new simply because I know what I want and they are both still in production but if I can find used I would not hesitate.

Here's the thing: I have always loved Ibanez since the day I played a GSR. I have an older but nice SR and I love the neck so naturally BTB would be the way to go for me.

However the other day I played a Cirrus and a couple of Peavey Grinds and i was in love / GAS. They were very similar to ibanez necks in a good way, the looks were killer, and the prices competitive.

----------

What would you do? :meh:

2. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    Get a used Peavey Cirrus 6. but between the two in question I would take the Ibby.

3. chaotick

chaotick

Aug 15, 2006
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    At least from the very few I've seen a used Cirrus cost more than either, no?

4. woo10

woo10

Feb 22, 2004
    Probably only a little more. The BTB676 is about $800 and the BTB776 is $950. A used Cirrus 6-string is in the range $900~1100 me thinks.

I'd be biased towards the Ibby as well, but please, do yourself a favor and play the bass before you buy it.

5. Grinds are great, but (at least, out here in dry West Texas) the necks tend to start twisting pretty bad. Haven't had that problem with most Ibbys, especially the BTBs. But I'm with you, I can't stand the Barts on the BTBs. I'd say if you can't get past the Barts problem and you can find a Grind with a great straight neck, that would be my choice.

6. I usually see used Cirrus 6s on Ebay go for $800-$1100. More than the Grind, absolutely. More than a new BTB, not necessarily. Plus if you buy used you can always flip it and get something else without taking a hit.

I agree with the above poster. A better bass than either IMHO also.

7. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    A used Cirrus is about the same price that the Ibby is.

8. I've had my BTB for over 10 years. Love it! There's a reason I have kept it and played it for that long.

9. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    I've only read excellent reviews for the Grind (Bass Player magazine, anyone?) so I could never understand why anyone wouldn't want one. Then I read this...

That's a damn shame. :( I wish that weren't the case. I wonder how often that's true...

10. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    This is actually really good advice. Playing a Cirrus, it will surprise you how good Peavey's are, relative to the price. I'd like one more than an Ibanez. Also, like it's been mentioned, those stock Barts aren't everyone's cup of tea.

11. btb is the ticket

12. chaotick

chaotick

Aug 15, 2006
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Seems like it's Cirrus or go home from the comments and BTB or die from the votes.

Looks like I'm gonna be looking at the classifieds until something pops up.

Thanks all who replied and keep the responses coming if you haven't posted yet.

13. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    To help that GAS attack along I thought I would provide pics of my Custom Shop Cirrus 6.;)
    IMG_0041.
    IMG_0051.
    IMG_0034.
    IMG_0047.

14. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    Another thought: Both Ibanez and Peavey have relatively low resale value, for whatever reason. No, this doesn't mean they're not quality, it just means they are not trendy brands and they're not perceived as "upscale". If you want to sell them, you might have a hard time making money. Peavey's, I can tell you from experience, are an absolute pleasure to buy used. They would probably be a real pain to sell used but I wouldn't know because I never want to sell mine. :p

15. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    USA Millenium's and Cirrus sell very well on the second hand market and they are starting to see an uptick in prices.

16. chaotick

chaotick

Aug 15, 2006
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Is there still a custom shop for Cirrus? I see them used frequently but I can't find the link to the web page :confused:

17. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    Don't forget to include YOUR opinion. ;)

Yes, that's true. Also, you have a gorgeous 6-string. Is there still a Peavey Custom Shop? I know there are still MIA basses being made in Mississippi but is the CS open?

18. chaotick

chaotick

Aug 15, 2006
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Lol for my same question, mere seconds later. :D

19. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    They closed the Custom Shop a couple years ago.

20. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    Thanks, but I can happily say it plays and sounds even better than it looks.