Ibanez BTB686 Neck Dive Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmanbob1, Oct 6, 2016.

1. bassmanbob1

bassmanbob1

Mar 27, 2009
    Greetings Folks,

This question is for the BTB686 owners out there.

BTB686 Bass I'm looking at (SCNTF) is 10 lbs 6 oz...

The Tech emailed and said that there is no Neck Dive when STANDING with regular strap..

BUT.. When sitting with the bass he notices Neck Dive... ?

I am wondering if this is the normal 'Nature of the Beast' (when sitting)?
    This single cut bass has such a LARGE body... (See attached picture) you'd think that would anchor it down..? It's puzzling..

*I know all about different straps/sitting positions that can help correct this etc... But I would like to know if this is common for this bass?

So.. Any BTB686 (SCNTF -OR- MSCNTF) owners out there that have experienced this?

Thanks in advance!

Bass-Man Bob :)

P.S. 10 lbs 6 oz is not light... But these versions can get up to 11 lbs.. I've heard of some 'rare' cases where they are under 10... but that apparently is not the norm....

Attached Files:

2. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    If you were referring neck dive when you're not using strap while sitting down so the bass will be supported by your right lap, then I'm confused.... cause I don't know any bass that could stay balanced on my right lap without strap worn, or at least my left hand cradling the neck or my right arm wrapping the body that prevents the neck from diving.

If you meant to say that strap is used, then it's all about how you positioned the bass. If it stays at the same position whether you are standing or sitting, then based on the answer you had received from the tech guy, you need not to be worry about neck dive.

Anyhow I get your point, I also wouldn't want a bass that when played while sitting down, which neck weight (and the uncut upper horn in case of the BTB SC) be a burden to my left hand or right arm just to prevent the neck dive.

I'm not an owner of BTB686SC, but I have the 5 string version, the BTB685SC, and also their heavier big brother, the BTB7 (although this one isn't a single cut, but the whole neck is wider and its headstock is way bigger than BTB standard size, with more tuners attached to sum up the weight, so without any doubt this has more possibility of neck dive). My BTB685SC is 4.4 Kg and the BTB7 is 5 Kg. I can assure you that there's no neck dive on both while standing and no burden also while sitting.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021