Ibanez BTB7 treble pot issue

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassvi, Jul 21, 2018.

1. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    Recently I purchased a used Ibanez BTB7, cosmetically in great shape. There seems to be an issue with the treble pot..... Even with the treble pot turned completely off, there is still quite an abrasive amount of sharp treble bite. I don't think it's the preamp because it's still that way in passive mode too. I opened it up and didn't see any kind of trim pot or any thing to back off on the highs.
    When rolling the treble pot forward it does change the tone to (yikes!) even more treble, but I don't think it's functioning properly...I just can't believe you're not supposed to be able to roll the treble all the way off on an instrument this nice.... any suggestions short of taking it in to a tech?

2. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    which year is it from?

There are several version of BTB7 (1P01-1P03), with different electronics only in the last build (1P03: 201512-201610), which has passive mode features the treble pot acts as passive tone pot.

Mine is the 1P03, but I've yet opened mine. All I know, the electronics came in several modules. The treble pot module has some kind of stacked functions on its mini electronic board which also connects to the bass pot and the active-passive mini switch. My guess is yours has electronics which had been modified but returned to stock when about to be sold. In case yours is from the same build, maybe the modules were mixed up when reinstalled.

3. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    Thanks for the reply. I picked up this bass as a back up for my Conklin GT7. and it plays just great. Just finding the high end a little too extreme for me personally and wondering if there is something actually wrong with the bass

4. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey, I'm a recent owner of a wonderful used BTB7 as well. Fantastic instrument, no? Other than the sort of gremlin that plagues used instruments on occasion, heh.

If the treble is excessive even in passive mode, that's really odd since it's literally pickups to output if things are wired right. I might suggest testing it by removing the battery, then re-checking it in passive mode to make totally sure there isn't a short running voltage to the preamp while the switch is set to passive.

If it's still got more abrasive treble than you like, well, you know it's not the preamp; it's some mix of strings, pickups, and pickup placement. Assuming it's all stock, with respect to Aidil's mention of possible mods (and mixup of different generations of stock pre parts, fantastic insight bc they're very different), which could cause any sort of random issues. Short of that, it's not impossible your bridge pickup is set closer than it should be, which could impart a lot of extra treble (and possibly impact sustain negatively if REALLY close to the strings)...but of course rolling to neck pickup can test that.

Mine is fully stock, and while the high F string is unavoidably biting with its trebly presence (it's IRRITATING but I'm starting to learn how to manage it via fingers), the rest of the strings feel nicely balanced.

Maybe the previous owner put brand new D'Addario Flex Steel lights on it right before sale? Haha...that'd give you staring-at-the-sun levels of brightness.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021