ibanez btb's?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tdogg, Mar 11, 2001.

1. tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    i have tried out several different btb models and loved
    the finger spacing and the balance and playability. but the tone didnt really impress me. i dunno......i didnt spend too much time trying to decipher the 5-pot and 1 concentric pot eq system.... has any one tried these or own them? i would love any input. i am thinking about purchasing the new 6 string. thanx
  2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ive got one!

GREAT bass for the money. The rosewoods unamplified tone is kinda weird, but amplified it sounds great! All you have to do is fiddle until you find "the tone" (which IS there somewhere), and stick with it, and it sounds great.

I vote go with the BTB6, you wont regret it. Just takes a little fiddling, and youve got an awesome bass.
  3. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    That tone is characteristic on most all of the Ibanez basses. Ive tried them and agree pretty much 100% with you about the playability aspects of them. But the tone just isnt there. It has the vari-mid 3 band eq in it, same eq thats in the Sr800 series basses. (master vol, pup selector, bass, treble, midrange controls, plus a sweepable mid range frequency selector)

As far a 6 string bass goes, yamaha trb's are quite nice as are spector, and Warwicks. Ibanez makes a 6 string the SR406 (and a prestiege model i think) but they sound somewhat similar to the BTB IMO. But they are also the least expensive of the 3 6's I mentioned, and all in all not a bad choice for a 1st 6 string. The neck is also the slimest and easiest to play for a 6. You can pick one of those up for under $1000, the Yamaha's and Spectors will run you well over that. Im sorry I know there are other brands out there that make a good sounding quality 6 but Im not familiar with them.

Another less expensive 6 string is Dean. Nice slim easy to play neck, but just doesnt have as good a tone as Spector, Warwick, and Yamaha's do.
  4. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I got a new Yamaha RBX6JM John Myung Signature 6 string bass at Mars last month for $593 out the door. It has a 35" scale and the B string thunders.The have them on clearance and may still have some left.