ibanez... can i fix the tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adept_inept, Feb 19, 2006.

1. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i love the feel of my ibanez. love the playability. gets a great slap/modern tones.

BUTT. i cant get anything that even comes close to awesome funk/jazz bassier tones. its jsu always mid range and trebley.its just completely lacking.

would replacing the pickups hve any effect on this?

or is it the maple body's fault mainly?

i thinking its new bass time.. since this oes great for slap, but i need one that is versatile enuff for both.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  3. Just out of curiosity, what kind of strings are you using? You may wish to try a new gauge/brand of string, as I find they change the tonality far more than are ever given credit for. Personally, I like DRs. Rotosounds are also very nice, especially when worn in.

The pickups would change the sound, yes, but again, changing the strings is usually the simplest and most cost effective manner in changing your tone on a budget.

Also, try new settings on both your instrument and amp.
  4. My first decent bass was an Ibanez Roadstar II and it was a nice instrument, well made etc

Only thing was, it was a ROCK bass and just about nothing else.
  5. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    already using drs

ive used Rotosound, La Bella, d'addario, boomers, silvertone, markleys, etc

so yea its not the strings. and ive done as much tweaking amp wise as possible. it rele is...

6. K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    If you like the sound of the bass unplugged, you may be able to get a sound you like out of it, with new pickups.

If you don't like the sound of your bass unplugged, it's almost guaranteed you're never going to really really like the bass no matter what pickups you put in it.
  7. smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    i bought an ibanez last year, and thought it was the greatest bass i had. I owned, and still own, a cirrus and a jazz. But the playability/comfort factor for the ibanez made it a favorite. But when i got it to actual band practice and gigs, it sounded so fake. There was no true tone there. I gave it up after about 6 months. and have truly found the tone in what i had.
  8. + 1,000,000.995342....

I always tell people this; the instrument will sound so much better if you start at the wood.

Put your ear against the bass and pluck it.. that sound is what you have to work with.

I did some pup switching on my Aria Pro, and thought I was happy until I tried another bass in a store one day....so I also reccomend trying out other basses too.
  9. Eul0gy

Dec 30, 2005
    can i ask which model you have?
  10. Yeah, I find it interesting that there were 8 responses based on no information except for 'maple body' and 'ibanez'. Ibanez has a lot of models, which one do you have? It might just be the way you have the tone knob, or onboard eq setup. I actually didn't know Ibanez made maple-bodied basses...
  11. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    sorry guys. its an ibanez sr400

and yea, i dont like the unplugged sound much either.

figjam is right.

12. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004
    "ibanez... can i fix the tone"

That has been the start of many an Ibanez R & D board meeting.:D
  13. instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey

hey hey hey.

ibanez isn't too bad...

i got the same bass adept has.