1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez Collector Custom Fretless!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dmq89, Mar 17, 2008.

1. dmq89

dmq89

Feb 21, 2006
    Selkirk, MB, Canada
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

Please allow me to introduce my new (to me), one of a kind, custom fretless jazz bass, built by TB's very own Ibanezcollector!!!

I did a trade with Brett for a BTB406 - I saw this bass in his "Amp Trade" ad and I knew I had to have it!!! :D

The bass features (copped from the ad I got it from) are:

Highly Figured Flame Maple top on Alder body
    Custom Stained two tone finish, cleared in Nitro Cellulose Lacquer
    Mighty Mite Unlined Ebanol Fretless neck
    Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups wired V/V/T with Kill Switch
    Gotoh Vintage Reverse Tuners
    Allparts Vintage Style groove bridge
    Ebony Knobs from Stewmac.com
    CTS pots

It took FedEx long enough to get it to me, but I assure you it was well worth the wait! :hyper:

It played amazing right out of the box (Brett shipped it in tune! :) ); once I made a few adjustments to fit my own playing style, I can honestly say that this is the BEST playing and sounding bass I've ever had!

I'll probably switch out the hardware to all black just to keep with the black and tan scheme, but as far as the overall, this bass is AWESOME!!! :bassist:

So if any of you is looking for a great custom (and a very easy transaction - Brett's a great guy to deal with!!!) Brett is the man!

(I know this sounds like an advertisement, but I really REALLY love this bass! :D )

2. dmq89

dmq89

Feb 21, 2006
    Selkirk, MB, Canada
    Another pic - next to my MIM lined fretless...

I can take more if anybody wants further detail!!!

3. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Wow--very pretty. I'll bet it growls like nobody's business. :cool:

4. holy crap he sold that??
    I saw the thread where he was layering the polish and that thing looked like a mirror!!!
    nice buy

5. Extremely nice! Is that a "dinky" Jazz body? Compared right next to your MIM Fretless is looks a touch smaller.

6. dmq89

dmq89

Feb 21, 2006
    Selkirk, MB, Canada
    Actually, it's a touch bigger than the MIM - it's just that the guitar hangers are two different styles... :p

It's also lighter than the MIM, and has a much better overall feel.

And it does growl like a starving dog, yes!!! :D

7. Very cool!

Brett knocked that finish out of the park.

8. dmq89

dmq89

Feb 21, 2006
    Selkirk, MB, Canada
  9. ShirazBop

ShirazBop Gold Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    Awesome! I love the look of a Jazz w/o the guard and a "blank plank"... I just can't stay as in tune as would like with out the "cheater marks..."

Gorgeous instrument!

10. dmq89

dmq89

Feb 21, 2006
    Selkirk, MB, Canada
    I switched to full-time fretless about a month ago, playing the lined MIM you see in the pic above.

Not bad, not great, but my intonation was good enough to get through a rehearsal without my band noticing if I was out! :p

I got this bass Friday, 'shedded with it for about 6 hours on Saturday :eek: and took it to an AUDITION on Sunday!!!

And NAILED the sucker!!! :hyper: The guys I played with didn't believe that I had only had the custom for two days.

SO - IME, the switch from lined to unlined was easier, as I play with much better intonation now that I'm NOT worried about "staying in the lines". All of the cliches you hear are true - you play the fretless with your ears, not your eyes. (Another good way to work on your intonation - play in the dark! Seriously!!!)

Of course, YMMV. The funny thing is, once I had 'shedded with the unlined all day Saturday, my intonation absolutely SUCKED on the lined!!! :p

11. congrads...beautiful bass!!! Enjoy !!!:hyper:

12. ShirazBop

ShirazBop Gold Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    Here is a bass that I had built but had sold (probably too soon...)

Neck was a mint '79 unlined P, w/skunk strip and tuners/string retainer.

Body was from Doug Christian (100mph3 on ebay), bubinga topped alder.

Seymour duncal 1/4 pounder (not the best choice, I know...)

GOTOH top loader bridge.

Single stacked tone/vol. pot to maximize the "wood-age"

Mark Cigainero of FT Worth, painted/finished the body in Nitro and Dan McCarthy of Dallas installed the neck and assembled the pieces together. Dan came up with the concept of doing the stacked knob.

From an ear training and playing perspective, I clearly should have NOT sold this instrument...

Oh well...

13. dmq89

dmq89

Feb 21, 2006
    Selkirk, MB, Canada
    Awesome looking bass, Rob!

We always let the best ones get away! :bawl:

(Oh wait, except for me - I just bought mine! :D)