Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez, Cort, Toby,etc DX and ADX Model Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Luis Fabara, Nov 7, 2000.

1. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I was investigating who makes this pickups:
    The tipical "DX5" "ADX5" pickups wich come with the most Ibanez basses, and Cort Basses. Now I found out that the Tobias Toby comes with "DX" pickups too.

My conclusion is that all these pickups are manufactured by Mighty Mite. Am I wrong?
    Does anyone have any information about it?

If so... Lets make manufacturers say: "Mighty Mite Pickups" instead of "CUSTOM WOUND TOBIAS ACTIVE SOAPBAR PICKUPS" or "Special Design Spector Soapbar pickups"
    In fact the "DX" line sounds like sh**** but the "ADX" is fine.

2. Ianhin

Ianhin

Mar 1, 2015
    South Africa
    I put the DX 5 s in my SR605 and they sound ten times better than those hideous Bart Mk1 pups and pre.

3. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Its possible it is simply a coincidence with the acronyms.

My 12 year old Ibanez (Cort of Korea made) came with DXP and DXJ pickups but my more recent model had Ibanez EXPs. Are there current Ibanez pickups using the DX moniker?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  4. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    I think you're correct, from what I've been able to find out. Cort Korea sourced Mighty Mite to make lots of their pickups and then those same DX5's, DX6's ADX5's, ADX6's were used in Ibanez, Cort labeled, Cort Curbow, and other basses. I even have a set (ADX5) that has Conklin printed on them. The DX's are passive, the ADX's are active, and are 'split P' inside.
    These were developed at about the same time EMG started their active soapbars for bass, but the EMG 4oP5 is 'reverse split P' inside. But maybe a collaboration?
    Similar opinions about the ADX vs DX as EMG actives vs Hz series- some don't like the passive versions, others like 'em...
    Mighty Mite also makes/made dual-coils of the same shape.

Mighty Mite bridges (some developed with Fishman) were used on Cort's own basses as well as Cort-made Spectors and others.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016