1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez CS9 static hiss when playing?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jamersonburton, Apr 14, 2020.

1. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    I've been using an Ibanez CS9 for a few months now and love the tone I get from it. When I think of chorus on bass, this is the sound I think of. I think many of us here can appreciate finding gear like that.

A little thing I noticed was the amount of noise I get when I play through it. I do have an isolated power supply (voodoo labs) that I use to power it and that took care of the noise while I wasn't playing through it.

However, when I send a signal through this pedal and the cs9 is engaged, I'm getting this faint distortion/static hiss.

I have attached a sample of it here, you can can particularly hear it during the longer sustained notes and as soon I stop playing the noise goes away.

This clip was recorded bass -->cs9 --> interface (unprocessed, flat di tone).
    As soon as I try and boost anything over 1k then this becomes very present.

Is this a normal part of playing through an analog chorus pedal or is this defective? Anybody know how to fix it?

2. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I've had an Ibanez CS-9 for ~35 years, powered either via 9V battery or a Voodoo Labs psu, and it's never made a "faint distortion/static hiss"

Of course, I've also never plugged it straight into a computer interface, it's always gone through a DI (impedance matching transformer) and/or mic preamp when recording. Do you hear that same noise when you play it through your usual stage amp?

jamersonburton likes this.
  3. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    Yes, I am currently using one of two different heads, an Ashdown ABM900 and a GK 800RB. This problem happens with each amp and becomes considerably noticeable if I start bringing up the treble or pushing the high mids.

I generally like brighter tones and the cs9 has a nice shimmery chorus. I'm trying to figure out if I have a defective pedal and I can just replace it with another cs9 or if that's the way the cs9 is and I have to look for something else. Interesting that yours through a DI doesn't produce the same sound I'm hearing with this one.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021