1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

IBANEZ CUSTOM SHOP Soundgear (ex-RUFUS PHILPOT,Planet X)Willis style FRETTED 5 string

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by rufusbass, Apr 20, 2009.

1. rufusbass

rufusbass Skype Bass Lessons Now available.

Sep 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Hey there-
    I'm selling a very cool 5 string bass the guys in the Custom Shop at Ibanez built for me,-it's a one of a kind bass -hand made by them...
    Its a lot like a Willis Bass, but fretted...with my own tweaks and specs..
    Here goes:
    18 mm spacing
    hand selected swamp ash body
    Highly figured (see pics) 24 fret maccassar ebony board
    vintage style small frets (mmm..nice!)
    Willis tuners
    Willis Style ramp
    graphite nut

Electronics:
    Carey Nordstrand's new pre-amp-to my specs:
    Volume, passive tone,
    PLUS: active bass and MID cut and boost..
    Nordstrand Big Single p/up, custom sized for this bass!
    V.cool
    Hipshot bridge...
    with Case
    Excellent condition!
    Pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/37403034@N03/sets/72157616792885832/
    How does $1450.00 sound? Plus shipping...
    No trades please..I'm trying to cut back !
    AND-if you live in LA, i'll throw in a free bass lesson!
    or a free download of my instructional dvd if you aren't close by! And if you dont want the bass, maybe you might like to check it out anyway :)
    http://www.rufusbass.com/lessins2.html

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Nice! I hope I have money the next time you unload gear!:cool:

3. Yeah, that is as hot as hell.

4. rufusbass

Sep 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Thanks guys! It is a really nice bass!

5. rufusbass

Sep 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    mmm!

6. BASSKADET

BASSKADET Gold Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    NC
    nice bass, truss rod cover?

7. rufusbass

Sep 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Hey there-
    truss rod cover - i am sure i can track it down for you !
    Cheers
    R

8. Man, The grain on that is great. I wonder how this would do in a fretless conversion....

Do you have any opinions on that, Rufus?

9. Crap, that's the exact style bass I'm looking for. A fretted Willis with ever so slightly wider spacing. Damn damn damn.

10. rufusbass

Sep 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    In response to Kevin's fretless query, im certain it would work great!!
    -the ebony is pretty tough- i actually have a fretless with similar wood and it is killing! There's some footage on youtube somewhere...maybe under Scott Tibbs group..or Kirk Covington Trio..

11. rufusbass

Sep 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    tues bump.

12. rufusbass

Sep 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    bump

13. rufusbass

Sep 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    weekend bumpage

14. rufusbass

Sep 10, 2005
    Los Angeles

15. Mikey D

Mikey D

Nov 30, 2006
    Birmingham, UK
    Cheers for letting me know that you have this finally up for sale now Rufus, but unless my double bass sells in the next month, I don't have the funds.

Just wondering why you got the headstock 3/2 instead of 2/3?

16. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Rufus, I would have snatched up the fretted and fretless Willis-style basses that you have up now if it were a year ago, along with your LA Custom Shop Spalted Chestnut top/Alder Back/Pau Ferro fretboard, Acrylic Ramp, Hipshot Type-A bridge w/18mm string-spacing, Nordstrand Big Splits & Aguilar OBP-3 and Gary Willis Tri-Wing Tuners bass* you were selling a while ago (but after a year of filling up "the stable" with truly high-quality/priced basses I've promised the Better Half that '09 would be a year devoid of major purchases... and she's been very good to me in terms of gear, so I can't even argue that she hasn't :smug: )

Obviously you're not with Ibanez as an endorsee anymore (how are those Nordys treating you? :D ) but I am interested in that as you were one of their major endorsees appearing in multiple magazines, NAMM footage, etc... did you ever have a chance to say "You know Random Ibanez Executive, perhaps it would be a good idea to actually manufacture my Chestnut top bass as a production-line instrument". I can personally say my second bass (i.e. my first "good" bass) was an Ibanez, as was the bass after that (moved to a six-string) and that if I hadn't underwent a switch of my tastes in bass tones from modern soapbar-type tones to Jazz pickups and based-instruments, I'd likely have stayed with them as build quality, hardware, electronics, and general Quality Control had always been good in my eyes. However, one of my "issues" with Ibanez is that they really don't have a "High-End" bass for the bassist that is seeking something with their specs but with top-notch woods, pickups and preamp, hardware and build quality along the lines of Sadowsky/Mike Lull/Nordstrand. Their most recent models such as the SR-500Xe (X=# of strings) and SR-400Xe are certainly a step in the right direction (and not just by looks, but from an extremely positive review from a Sweetwater.com employee on the 'board who just got them in stock) but I feel it might be "too little, too late" in that players who would have stayed with Ibanez if they had a bass to compliment their playing or different pickups and tones (myself, for example - the SR-5005 linked above is supposed to have great Jazz-type pickups) have found themselves other companies to go with.

In essence, did you ever have any type of conversations with the higher-ups at the company regarding the direction/quality of the bass line and that perhaps some of your custom basses could be sold or used as a "jumping-off point" for a higher range of instrument?

Thanks for reading, consider it a trade for the bump it'll give your listing ( ;) ), and I'm listening to Planet X's "Quantum" as I write - what bass did you use on those sessions, if I may ask?

l_9fc31e348e8f006113f032dd407934ed.

*Absolutely the most kickass Ibanez I've ever seen, if not endorsee-made bass that should have been a production model, and one I'd purchase in a heartbeat :eek: ...

17. rufusbass

Sep 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    hey there-wow that was a detailed post! -love it!
    SO...Lets see..
    I am with Ibanez still, but need to reduce the amount of basses that aren't being played, hence the sale..Im possibly changing direction w/ pick ups and string spacing..not sure yet..Things are quite exciting potentially in that direction!
    I agree about the void in the bass line-I AM actually going to be putting some ideas foward to the head guys at Ibanez-I played the NAMM show using an older Roadgear (the one on my website...rufusbass.com) and it kicks ass..Great neck, flat fingerboard radius, 18mm spacing i think..Totally easy to play..And i talked to some of the Japapnese execs about a custom one..Simple, w great pick up(s), swamp ash or alder, maybe similar pre amp to the one i am selling..(Nordstrand..) and some other Rufus tweaks!
    We shall see!
    As for Quantum...Was Ibanez custom, and also i think a Smith for certain bits..
    I used my fretless Ibanez custom-one pick up, burl maple top, ash body, for Sherinians solo cd track i played on..Love that bass.
    My next custom will be much closer to that probably.
    I like the maple top w ash or alder...
    And Carey and i are in talks!
    So...watch this space!!
    Thanks for your interest and input on this..Its good to know there is a market for this potentially!
    PS-I start recording w/ Kirk Covingtons trio this week..on the menu..
    Willis fretless,
    My Ibanez fretless (Custom) and of course.. Fender 65 Jazz..!

18. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Kirk Covington is my most favorite drummer.... EVAR! Looking forward to that release. Godd luck with the sale of your basses.

19. rufusbass

Sep 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    hey thanks chap!

20. rufusbass

Sep 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    bump