1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez Destroyer...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThatguyRory, Oct 21, 2013.

1. ThatguyRory

ThatguyRory

Oct 21, 2013
    So I've picked up an old ibanez destroyer for about $70 that the previous owner started to sand back and rebuild but eventually got too lazy to complete..

I'm just trying to find out some details about these things.. year made and all that jazz.. plus i'm not too sure what wood these are made from.

Any info would be much appreciated!

IMG_20131021_190859_zpsc85febee.

2. I have one. It was my first bass and I never let it go. They where made from around 1984 to 1988 or 1989 I think. Bought mine used in 1990 and it was 2 years old. I'll try to find a link to an Ibanez related site where I've found info on it... if it still exists. I'll post it later on, can't do it right now.

3. deathsdj

deathsdj

Sep 18, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    That body looks like it has been altered to me. I'm no expert but I have three destroyers and none of them look like that. The pickup configuration is different than anything I have yet seen as well.

EDIT: Looked around a bit and it looks like you do have an original destroyer there, just a later model that I have not seen.

Cheers!

MJW

4. ThatguyRory

ThatguyRory

Oct 21, 2013
    Awesome, dudes! Thanks heaps. Sure does look like a DB700.

5. Yup, it's like mine!

6. skot71

skot71 Guest

I have one of those. Mine's a 1985.

7. Blissful_Bass

Blissful_Bass

Jul 14, 2008
    Chicago
    http://www.thedestroyerguy.com/Bass/DB-700.html

I have an '85 (built in Dec. '84) that's candy apple red.

The Serial Number Format for this model is myypppp where:

m = month of manufacture (e.g.: A = Jan, B = Feb, ... , K = Nov, L = Dec)
    yy = last two digits of the year of manufacture (e.g.: 85 = 1985)
    pppp = the sequential production number for this individual guitar out of all Ibanez electric guitars manufactured during the specified month/year at a given factory.

It was built primarily to serve as a hard rock / metal bass. I like the volume / duo sound switch that changes the pickups from humbucking to single coil. That and the pickup blend knob give the bass quite a flexible tonal range to suit a number of different purposes. It's not the best bass out there, but it's far from being a bad instrument. I have a modest collection of basses and I enjoy playing my X-Destroyer.

My pickups seem to be going microphonic though. SHould I get them redipped or pay approximately the same price and get a new set instead? Decisions decisions . . .

8. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    I wanted one of these sooo badly in the mid 80s. The red one with the white P pickup. Sigh...