Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez does G&L?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ran across this at Music123.com...Ibanez's attempt at a G&L? I've never seen a SR500 before. Huh. Anyone seen tried this thing? (No, don't want one, just a little curious)
    [​IMG]

2. Wow that does look like a G&L knock-off, maybe Ibanez is going for versatility at an affordable price.

Let's face it, Ibanez(even though I am not a fan) is usually a good bang for the buck.

3. What do you mean knockoff ?
    So every bass that has exposed polepieces is a knockoff ? woah..

4. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yes, just like Warwicks sporting J-pups are total Fender Jazz knock-offs.

I'm still waiting for SR(X) with maple board.

5. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    That headstock is definitely a dead ringer.
    Doc

6. dead ringer ??

7. Isn't the SR500 series discontinued?

8. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

The exposed pole-piece look is becoming more popular, I guess. The ESP LTD C-304/305 has exposed pole pickups as does the ESP LTD Viper-304. They are using EMG HZ pickups with exposed pole pieces (so they will sound like all the other EMG HZ pickup-equipped basses). I wouldn't be surprised if the Ibanez exposed pole piece pickups sound just like the regular Ibanez humbuckers.

I do like the exposed pole-piece style myself and am a G&L fan. But I doubt that they are "copying G&L" since G&L is not a very well-known/popular name. Maybe they are going for the Wal look since at least one currently popular bands bassist uses Wal basses.

One drawback to exposed pole pieces is if you pluck directly over the pickup and your fingers reach to them they can have sharp edges that irritate/cut your fingers (I think Stingray users have occasionally felt the need to sand the edges rounder/smoother). They also provide another thing that can rust on the bass.

9. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    For Warwick

10. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    OK, that headstock does not look like a G&L or a Warwick headstock. I have exposed pole pieces on my Fender Jazz and they rip the tips of my fingers apart!

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    C'mon dudes, exposed pole humbuckers and 2-band EQ: it's meant to attract StingRay fans with a more "in your face" sound than the usual SoundGear PJ setup allows.

The reason noone has seen one before is it just got shown at NAMM last week :rolleyes:

12. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I've seen this bass at Daddy's Junky Music in Western Mass. One was like the picture above for around $500+ (I'm sure you could do better elsewhere). And there was a cheaper model that seemed the same, but black (now squanky flame job).

Any chance this ax comes in a 5-string? I've check Ibanez' website and the model was there at all.

Ron