Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez - down / Carvin - on the way

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Damian, Aug 21, 2000.

1. Damian

Damian

Jul 4, 2000
    I bought an Ibanez SR485 exactly 34 days ago ( I was in lack for a 5 string guitar which I left back home - Europe ).

From the biggining I could tell that there is something wrong with the guitar. It was playing but I couldnt get a good sound from it ( I'm also using Hartke combo - I'm in practice stage with the band ), but I wasn't using it very often so I basicaly didn't pay attention to it. Well, 2 days ago, I woke up, plugged the bass in and ... BIG HUM, noises and finally distorted sounds was the only I could get from that thing. I'm about to send it back to the dealer and get my money back. I was supposed to keep this guitar for a few months anyway, but in that case I went straight to the point and called Carvin :)

I ordered Carvin LB-75, koa body sides, 5 pice neck, J99/HB2, abalone dot inlays ( are they standard dots ? ), and few other options. I've heard a lot of good things about Carvin back home and have read a lot of good things here and on the net itself. Will I be satisfied ? :)

Thanks for all the comments

Damian

2. luvmycarvin

luvmycarvin

Aug 20, 2000
    I have a Carvin Bunny Brunel solid body and its the best sounding bass i have ever played. I think you will be impressed.

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Did you test the battery??
    If you did... and it was OK, check for the ground wiring on the electronics.
    Some Ibanez tend to be poorly soldered. It is JUST THAT.
    About Carvin?? MUCHO EXELENTE BASS!! But the electronics are not "That" good. You can always put a BassLines System on it.
    :)

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Abalone Inlays: No, these are not "Dots" These are AMAZINGLY BEUTIFUL BLOCK INLAYS!!!
    I wanted a Carvin LB76 Aniversary with abalone, quilted maple top , active/passive electronics, name engraved on truss rod, etc..
    I just couldnt afford it.
    Anyway, when i get the 1000+ that it costs, Im not gonna buy It, Im getting a POWER AXE!! The Conklin Groove Tools GT7 Seven String Bass!!
    Now, that is an AXE

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    GOOD JOB!! :) Carvin is awesome d00d :)

DM

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Awesome! Im thinking of getting me a 6 string Carvin...in fact, im thinking of getting a lot of basses. Need to choose! Well, i hope you like your Carvin! :)

7. Deicide666

Deicide666

May 1, 2000
    Dude! I have an Ibanez. You know when it does that? When the battery runs out! I dont know, but it doesnt seem like many people give Ibanez a fair shot. All the ones I've played have been great, without exception. They cost a lot less than....say.... fenders (i said the f-word) and, IMHO sound a lot better. I know its just my personal preference, but i will take an Ibanez over a fender ANY day. As for Carvins, well I've only heard good things about them, so I guess they're solid basses. Good luck with it...

8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I love Ibanez Basses...
    I love the SR1306 , SR506 and ATK300 (My old basses)
    But lets face it, Modern Ibanez (The ones that are not made in the Cor-Tek factory in Korea) seem to suffer electronic problems sometimes (almost never) but it happens.

My new bass (Is coming to get me) Is a Cort Curbow 6 String (made in korea in the Cor-Tek factory) with Bartolini Pickups and Preamp.

9. Deicide666

Deicide666

May 1, 2000
    Yeah, I'll swallow my Ibanez-pride and admit that my edb-600 did have a small wiring problem. But, it only cost like $5 to get it fixed and it is in perfect condition now, I'm happy to report :)

10. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I have an Ibanez 4-string and I can't find anything wrong with it. It's one of their signature models and I'd be ticked if it was a dud. My mainstay is the Carvin 5 (bought in 1995. It's got the wider thinner neck and a midrange boost. It sounds great, especially after I had it professionally set up. You can't underestimate the effect of humidity and temperature changes on wood. By the way, when I talk to guys about getting another 5-string they all seem to say, "Well, the Carvin's a great bass."

11. I have also played both Ibanez and Carvin, and I can't really say anything bad about the Ibanez,but When I got my Anniversary issue Carvin with Abalone inlays and quilted maple top :p, I was like, WHAT Ibanez?! I'm sure you will like your Carvin as well.

12. Damian

Damian

Jul 4, 2000
    Thank you all for replies.

Ifabara: I ordered Abalone DOT inlays. This is a NEW option. I hope they are as beautiful as block ones.

I'll let you know how I feel about Carvin just after I get it.

13. Damian

Damian

Jul 4, 2000
    Hello again,

I got a postcard from Carvin few weeks ago saying that my "baby" will be shipped on the 10-11-00. 22 days to go !!

Anyway, as I'm waiting I started having doubts and keep asking myself questions:

- did I make the right choice ?
    - isn't the body is going to be too small ? - I'm 6'3" with slightly REALLY NOT short fingers or small hands.
    - did I make the right choice with the pickup configuration ? I chose J99/HB2 ( I love that meaty low bottom end sound and don't slap very often, but also like the sound to be very clear and punchy ).

I have some questions about amp and cabs but I think I will start a diffrent thread on this.

Thank you guys for all the help.

14. Nah, don't sweat it, Damian! You're getting a brand new custom bass! You will have to be sure to post and let us know what you think!

- did I make the right choice ?

Sounds like you ordered it how you want it, right? If you don't like it, send it back for a refund or exchange....that's simple enough. No stress there.

- isn't the body is going to be too small ? - I'm 6'3" with slightly REALLY NOT short fingers or small hands.

I'm 6'3" and about 260 with big hands (no, I'm not fat) and I doubt seriously you'll have problems with body size. If it is too small for you, send it back and get the Bunny Brunel 5 with the wider neck and bigger body.

- did I make the right choice with the pickup configuration ? I chose J99/HB2 ( I love that meaty low bottom end sound and don't slap very often, but also like the sound to be very clear and punchy ).

That's what I would have gone with. It's natural to get antsy when you're waiting on something like this...Just be patient (yeah right!) and give it a good thorough play for several days, then decide if it's "you" or if you should return it.

Have fun :)

15. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Damian,

I hope that I didn't scare you in one of my other posts into thinking that a Carvin might be too small. In comparison to a Fender, they ARE definitely thinner and lighter, but so is an Ibanez. Carvins and Ibanezes (Ibani??) are of roughly the same size and weight, although without the neck heel, the Carvin is a tad thinner. I'm a muscular 5'11" with decent-sized hands (a little more than a 9" span from thumb, or ten white keys on a piano), and can handle a big-@$$ Fender if I have to. But the Carvin is MUCH more comfortable to play (for me), and sounds great.

BUT, if you don't like it, send it back. No bass is for everyone. Let us know how it goes.

16. Damian

Damian

Jul 4, 2000
    WOHOO!!!
    I just got a call from a guy at Carvin telling me that my bass is finished and ready to go !!

I changed the shipping option from regular to 3 day select - not that much diffrence but bass will be here on Wendesday - 3 weeks earlier !

Am I lucky or what ? :)

BTW: Anyone wants to buy my not even 2 months old 5-string Ibanez SR485 ? ( I keep it in the case at all times when not used )

It turned out that the battery has DIED ( I feel so stupid about not knowing it - there is no compartment for the bettery that pups up, but the battery is hidden under the cover plate with 6 screws ! :) ) so there is nothing wrong with the bass. Perfect working condition.

Anyway the bass is excelent condition with 1 minor scratch from belt - you have to look very cerefully to notice. It has 11 months warranty left and includes Ibanez hardshell case.
    If you are interested email me.

Thanks

[Edited by Damian on 09-22-2000 at 12:22 PM]

17. Damian

Damian

Jul 4, 2000
    Well, it turned out that the bass was supposed to be here today by the end of the day ( not Wendesday as posted above ). I was driving to school at about 9AM and about 2 miles from University I saw a guy from UPS that serves my area. So I stopped and asked If he has anything for me. He says: YEAH I do!
    As you already noticed I'm not in school ( but I have just 2 classes today so it's not a big loss ) but PLAYING my new baby!!

It is AWESOME!! The body is beautifull and it smells SOOOO GOOOOOD!!!!!! :)
    I'm sorry I'm just so excited. Anyway, I've not had a chance to play with the electronics yet because SHE is SO beautifull I don't even wanna touch it :)

I'll let you know what I think about the sound just right after I get to that point ;););)

Nahhh, I'm kidding. I love the sound. Basically It's the sound I was looking for. I'm just not sure yet If I made the right decision about the HB2 but .. ehhh .. I need more time.

I played Fender's, Ken Smith's, and others at the same price range ajd this is what I belong to :)

I'm not gonna say : GET A CARVIN ! - because that's the matter of each one personal taste and my opinion doesn't really matter as far as trying to convince someone that " THIS IS SOMETHING YOU SHOULD BUY"

Ehh, what am I saying ? ;)

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congratulations, Damian.

Let us know what you think about the electronics and tone after you've played it a few days.

Enjoy your new Carvin!

19. Damian

Damian

Jul 4, 2000
    Well,

I was kinda frustrated at the bigining because I wanted to get a proffesional set up and NOBODY was able to help me. Finally I drove myself and my new "baby" to Memphis and got proffesional set up from the guy who used to work on SRV's guitars. Well, the guy turned out to be great guy and a technician. I put some DR's on it and MAN .. what a relief. I love it! I love the feel, the looks and everything about this bass, except ... probably one of the most important things - the Electronics :(

I think they are OK but not as great as Bartolinis or Lane Poors. I think I'm gonna replace them with Bartolinis ( pickups and preamp ). It wont cost me that much ( I already posted a new topic with the question about it under "Pickups" ) and I hope this will be a great match since the bass itself is AWESOME! I've played Pedulla and Modulus for couple of hours all together and in my opinion Carvin + Bartolini = What Pedulla ? ;)

Of course everyone has a diffrent taste so please don't take it too personal.

Now, I'm working on the amp and cabs and probably hold on with the replacement for a few weeks.
    Damian

20. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I too went through what you are going through. Hey, what a great guitar. I only wish it sounded better or different or whatever. In fact, I even talked to Pat Bartolini about replacement pickups for my Carvin. But each time, most everybody said, Carvin's stuff isn't that bad. It's got a particular sound; warm and tight. So, to this day, I still have the stock pickups. Nevertheless, I continue to wonder what EMGs would sound like in it. And it goes on and on. I now have a new sound, though, but it comes in the form of a Warwick Corvette Standard. I still love my Carvin.