Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ibanez dwb 35

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by milo, Oct 25, 2004.

1. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
    has anyone played ibanez dwb 35.
    it looks great but i am not shure bout B string couse 34" scale.
    and pups are precision and jazz under humbucker cover.
    so please tell me more bout sound and feel.
    thanks

2. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    do you mean the Ibanez GWB 35

3. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
    no i mean Doug Wimbish Bass 35 ;)

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    dwb and gwb are two different models, the Doug Wimbish and Gary Willis models, and both currently available.

5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I've played the DWB 35 a few times at my local store. My impressions? A much "chunkier" neck than most Ibanez's (even the BTB's, which aren't so big considering the string spacing), nice solid tone in general and from the B in particular considering it's a 34" scale (I don't believe 35" is the be-all-end-all cure to B string tone), the body is a bit "slab-like" but nowhere super-uncomfortable. The EMG's sound like... EMG's. If you like that tone and the shaping abilities of the pre, you'd like it. Fit and finish were exceptional: nice stain and great fretwork given the price range.

I'd say the price range is the biggest fault about the bass, in that there is a ton of competition and it's likely to get lost in the shuffle, much like the Willis signature. This might have more to do with the Dollar-to-Yen exchange than anything else, but Ibanez had done well with the BTB's and SRX's - why are the signature models somewhat overpriced considering their features?

...and why do we rarely see Doug actually playing his namesake? :confused: I had to pass on LC the last time they were in the area, but can someone who's seen them live recently comment of whether he's playing them live or sticking with his Spectors?