Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez DWB3 or the Yamaha ATtitude billy sheehan

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sk8terguy316, Mar 17, 2005.

1. I would like to know what you think I should get out of the two? They both sound quite nice, but I would like some feedback on both(or one) of them. Thank you for any and all feedback thank you alot!!!

2. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA

ATTITUDE!! its one of the best :)

3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I second the Attitude. I'm a P-bass nut and it's definitely next on my hit list.

Admittedly I'm prejudiced against Ibanez, though not because I'm following the crowd but because my first 3 basses were Ibanez. Lesson learned. :smug:

4. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I'd probably go with the Attitude as well. Yamaha basses have over all better QC than Ibanez and IMO have much nicer feeling necks.

The DWB is said to be very well made and I believe it's less expensive? But as with the guy above me, I've owned a couple of Ibanez basses (one of them I still have, more or less for sentimental value) and I likely won't go for an Ibanez again. They just don't feel right to me, even the newer ones.

If you're even thinking about a Doug Wimbish signature Ibanez, go for a Spector bass instead. Wimbish primarily uses Spector basses, if I'm not mistaken.

5. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've seen him play twice here in SF over the past couple years, once with Living Colour and recently with Tackhead. I never saw an Ibanez bass onstage, only Spectors (three, IIRC).

6. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The Attitude also gets my vote...a very cool bass. I'm not a fan of the scalloped frets (some models have this) myself, nor do I like the way that the woofer pickup gets in the way of some thumbstyle-playing, but hey...that's not whatcha get an Attitude for anyway, right!? Ya get one to rawk with the DiMarzio pickups...! :bassist:

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Honestly, I'm torn between the two. The DWB is a helluva bass, but the Attitude is unique and wonderful. The neck joint is superb, especially with my neck-bending habits (like Billy's) so that would be the better bass for me.

Are both available for you to try?

8. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I would have to say the Ibanez. Amazing bass. They are really well constructed, come with good pickups, DON"T sound like sand in a blender like the attitude (I really don't like Billy Sheehan's sound), and the EMG pickups are so easy to swap and change depending on what mood you are in. It may as well be a spector copy with it's large high mass bridge, neckthrough construction and EMG pickups (or so I have heard). I really like the Wimbish model.

9. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    How is the Attitudes bass's mid pickup? I'm considering on buying one of these, thought it might be nice to hear your thoughts on it though.

10. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Do an advanced search for attitude, titles only, bass only. That should get you alot of info. :)

11. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    ok thanks, yeah i tried doin a serach and it came up with a lot of crap and almost no info i actually needed lol

12. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Personally, I'd go with the Attitude. I have the cheaper version and it sounds and plays really well. My only complaint is how narrow the neck is at the nut. I'm used to playing Spectors that the neck on this bass feels a lot like a Jazz bass, but I can get some really good slap and pop tones with the split pu's.

13. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Do you think you could measure the nut width for me? I'd really like to know.

14. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Scalloped frets? Please explain. :)

Thanks,
    Graeme :bassist:

15. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    [​IMG]

See those black things on the fingerboard? Those are scallops. That's where they've carved a finger shaped section out of the board.

16. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Those black things are just fret markers. Only the last 5 frets under the D and G are scalloped. I'm 99% sure the frets are smaller on this section as well as I think med+ frets pretty much cancel out the benifits of a scalloped fretboard.

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Beautiful bass. The biggest reason I scalloped the top 8 on my Soundgear... they help a lot when bending, but I find where Billy started scalloping his a bit too high for me. I would've started somewhere around the 15th fret.

Oh, and I don't find that jumbo frets cause any trouble with a scalloped board.

18. i love the ibanez doug wimbish.....although im an ibanez freak and would prefer an atk over the wimbish.....and im sorry, but how does scollaping help bending? ive never actually had any problems bending strings anywhere on the neck

19. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Hello all, I'm new here.....

I have an Attitude Bass limited edition and it's great, one of the best necks i ever played on... The Yamaha gets my vote....

20. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I don't believe you, but I'm going to defer to you on it since it's been close to a decade since I had my hands on one. If they aren't scalloped (anymore), it's a shame.