Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez eda basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hants, Oct 11, 2005.

1. hants

hants

Oct 11, 2005
    What do you think of the Ibanez eda basses? I'm considering on buying a eda900, but would like to ask your opinions on the bass. If you have some experiences on the bass or if you have owned (or own) the bass, please post. E.g. is it specialized on some particular music type (e.g. heavy, funk) and what kind of a slap & pop bass is it? Also, is it a bass that has the quality that you dont have to change it to a new one in a year or two? Please post your experiences.
    Also, Ive seen many good comments on the 905 model. What are the the benefits of a five stringed bass, should a 5-stringed be considered rather than a a 4-stringed?
    :bassist:

2. i bought mine a year ago this w.end and love it. it looks freaking cool. not a huge amount of versatily in tone, but i can find a nice smooth deep tone, and more of a punchier thud rock tone and a quite growly heavy tone. Also with the piezo bridge pup in it u can get an acoustic bass tone going on, although its not realy that nice lol. the only problem that i have found with them is that every one i ever played buzzed like a mofo, so it most likely need a good setup. as for slap and pop, sounds great IMO, and the way the body is shaped with a dig out sort of part makes it nice and easy to get under the string to pop it like its hott. its a nice light weight, and really ergonomic, hence the ergodyne bass name. the only benefits of a 5er would be extended range, whether ur stringing it with a low B or a high C. Just play one and find out for yourself, although ibanez have discontinued making them for quite some time now so you might have a hard time finding one.

any other questions just ask

peace
    Chips

3. Hello, hants, and welcome to Talkass. :)

I've owned an EDA905F (fretless model) for about 2.5 years, and I love this bass.

This bass has its own tone, but if I had to describe it, I'd say it sounds something like the neck pickup on a Fender Jazz bass that's been moved towards the bridge about an inch. It doesn't really sound like a P-bass, and it will not give you the Jaco sound either.

The magnetic pickup by itself is a little dark, but when you blend in the piezos, they add warmth and a little bit of a percussive tone. I don't like the sound of the piezos by themselves, because I think they sound too harsh.

The EQ on this bass is a little strange: 2 band magnetic EQ with only one knob, and the piezo treble knob is on the front of the bass, while the bass control is on the back of the body. You need a small screwdriver to adjust it, but it's really not a big deal. It took me a month or so to get the tone I like out of this bass, but I love the sound of it. It gives a reasonably convincing upright-like tone, and that's what I wanted.

I played a few of the fretted models, and they sounded a little warmer than my fretless, probably because they have a rosewood board while the fretless has an ebonol board. (plastic)

This bass balances sitting or standing better than any other bass I have played, and I think this is its best feature.

They are discontinued, but if you can find one I would recommend them highly.

Mike ;)

4. hants

hants

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks a lot for the help! :)
    Ive already tried one but thought that (being yet quite inexperienced) Id ask other peoples opinions about the bass. The place Ive been looking on it has a 40% discount for one (from 951 € to 475€), so it seems profitable. :) Still, post your experiences on the bass, and the 905 model, especialy its suitabilities for differents types of music.

5. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    I have one that I just took out of the closet! The D string on the piezo pup went dead, and I've read (on talkbass!) that others have had problems with the piezo. I had decided, though, to rethink it as a bass with only a magnetic pup. I strapped it on and, man!, did it feel good. The neck is very slim and the body is designed to fit a human body (eeh, sounds funny...and I said strapped on...) just perfectly. I've had different strings on it and it seems to respond to string difference. I just put some Thomastik Infelds on it and sounds maybe less deep than was described above and is really fast and esy to play.

6. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    I have an EDA 905, I really love this little bass. I string it e,a,d,g,c,. It has a really crispy slap tone, but if you try slapping with the piezo cranked you might pierce your ear drums. You can get some nice variety once you figure out how to blend the two p/ups. I have been lucky enough not to have problems with my piezo elements, But i've heard of that happening as well...scary thought :meh: I wonder if these(piezo elements) can be ordered through ibanez even though the bass has been discontinued? PEACE