Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez EDA discontinued?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tsal, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I might be bit late in noticing this, but Ibanez EDA seems to have disappeared from the website catalogue? :confused:

It's a shame if they're discontinuing it, after all it's one of the rare successful "futuristic" concepts out there, with it's well thought out cuts and curves, interesting pickup selection and all that, and it's also probably one of the easiest basses to recognize anywhere.

Too bad sales representatives don't seem to be able to see behind numerical values, and a unique design screaming "pioneered by Ibanez!" goes to the trash can, eventually hurting the whole image the company is giving out.

2. How do they compare to the Sr series with the bartolini pickups? I was looking for a good 4 string Ibanez bass to be my main slap bass.

3. Rich600

Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Scotland
    Ive noticed they arent on the site anymore, i hope they arent discontinued cos im planning on buying one in a couple of months, dammit, i love ibanez basses, ive got 2 already, EDB600 and a GSR205 and i want an EDA, think ill go for a BTB if i cant get the EDA.

4. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I believe Ibanez DID discontinue the Ergodyne A because of slow sales. I agree that the futuristic "pioneered by Ibanez" design is great, but I'm not sure if people were ready for such an outlandish looking bass. Many folks still look with disdain on "newfangled" basses (i.e. those with 5+ strings or with body shapes that don't resemble Fender.) It it were a wood body instead of luthite I'd want one.

But all that aside, it's not like that's anything new. Many of Ibanez' best basses have had the plug prematurely pulled for whatever reason; likely ineffective marketing. Note, the ATK.

5. Rich600

Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Scotland
    Did they discontinue the EDC aswell?!

6. I do believe they are discontinued. :(

I bought a fretless EDA905F just about two years ago, and absolutely love it. The body is plastic, the fingerboard is plastic, but so what?

It sounds great, and without a doubt is the most comfortable bass I've ever played sitting or standing. Ibanez got the ergonomics perfect with this one.

Search the web; there might still be a few lingering at some dealers.

They are worth checking out.

Mike

7. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    I spotted this a few days ago but hoped they just hadn't re-added the details to the site after they updated it.

Bugger. I love my EDB500 to bits and the EDA series convinced me to buy a bass in the first place - I absolutely love the look, feel and sound of them.

8. Ibanez is having a tough time with basses these days. They have way too many models and the cool ones always seem to slip through the cracks. I just recently bought an RKB900 and absolutely love it. It too was discontinued.

It's really a shame. They make very good products, they just can't sell them.

9. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Very true. Ibanez needs to come up with a good idea, and stick with it. The RKB was a great idea. The ATK. EDC. I love them all, and theyre all gone.

And yes the EDCs were discontinued a long time ago.

~Patrick

10. yesh, ibanez have some serious marketing issues. I got my EDA quite a while ago now. got it dirt cheap coz they dnt sell easy too. beautiful looking and feeling bass. plays really nice with heapsa PUNCH. i want a fretless one too, doesnt look like that will happen tho, unless find one second hand and de fret it. if ur after one, i'd search the web and music stores now, theres still a few lingering around in shops near me.

11. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    ATK-R.I.P
    BTB(mohogany)-R.I.P
    SR(bubinga,wenge,mono-rail)-R.I.P
    EDC315(triplecoil 'bucker)-R.I.P

all great concepts AND great basses
    all gone..

ibanez has issues... :rollno:

12. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    GWB Fretted - R.I.P.
    GWB Fretless with the Ebony FB - R.I.P.

I second the mourning over the SR3000 bubinga/wenge that I never got around to buying before they discontinued it.. :(

13. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
  14. Yeah, that's right.

Someone else posted a picture of one of those a while back. That pivoting pickup was a nice idea.

Thanks for reminding us, fcoda. :)

Mike

15. Notice that it says, "Comfy to play in any position."

They're not kidding when they say that. :cool:

Mike

16. Honestly, I hated the design that they put out for those Luthite basses...
    AND... I hated the sound and feel of the Luthite...
    Its... Just... Un-natural... lol.

Im not too sad in seeing that fly out of the market... maybe that will encourage them to look deeper into trying to mimic the TRUE properties of wood and develop something that we can use and help stop harvesting exotic trees... if it sounded like wood, and felt like wood, I'd buy it...

17. Its not meant to sound like wood, its meant to sound like a bass :p

Yeah, its a shame they are dropping all the good basses, i still want an EDC 300 (i think, not the triple bucker one, the one before that with 2 humbuckers) and everyone needs an ATK!