Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ibanez eda fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neptoon, Sep 16, 2002.

1. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, i was just looking around and i happened across the fretless version of the eda...i've played around with the fretted version several times at guitar center, and i've found them to sound pretty cool, as well as play pretty easily. they aren't the most pretty thing in the world, but they have a killer tone...at least i think anyway..really aggressive sounding, especially with the piezos blended in at about 50%. any of you guys toyed with the fretless yet? i'm interested to hear what you think...

[​IMG]

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Personally, I like looks with some 'edge' in them. That certainly ain't the prettiest Mikey T has put out, but it has kinda nice, almost "rebellous" feel to it. I especially dig how bridge(s), output and knobs are laid out.

Besides, with that headstock, arrogant geetarists woulden't no more pose a problem :D :D

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    so....has anyone tried one out yet?

4. uh... come again ??

5. RobOtto

RobOtto

Aug 15, 2002
    Denton, TX
    I think he is implying you could just stab them with the pointy part....... I know a few deserving guitarists myself.... "turn down the bass," he said..... (grumble grumble).... must... keep.... rage pent up in a tiny ball.... must keep rage....

I think the bass looks pretty nice. But no, I've not played one yet.

6. I haven't played one, by Percy Jones is using one. Have a look at the video clips on Percy's current label, Buckyball Music: http://www.buckyballmusic.com/

Mike

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, cool...thanks mike, as always...i'm still diggin' that curbow, by the way ;) hopefully next year when i re-enlist i'll be placing an order for a pair of new ones hee hee can't wait to see how that turns out....

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Is that an EDA, or an AFR? (discontinued model he helped design, I think)

edit: yeah looks like an EDA, sans magnetic pickup, in the videos.

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    wow...this percy jones fella is pretty unique. he's got a really weird middle eastern meets les claypool vibe going on. cool stuff...

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    You should check out Mick Karn too if you're interested. Mick was pretty influenced by Percy. Musically I like Mick's stuff better.

11. He started out with an AFR fretless 5, then went to a custom wenge/bubinga Soundgear fretless with the same magnetic/piezo pickup combination. Lately he seems to be playing the EDA, which as you noted is based on the original AFR design. (The AFR was designed by Rolf Spuller, I believe--never heard anything about Jones helping with the design, just being one of the few high-profile users...)

Mike

12. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Do they make them with lines? Avant garde but interesting.:cool:

13. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i didn't see lines as an option...i think the fretted version sounds really cool, though i was only able to coax a couple of good tones out of it. i was impressed with the sounds i got, and then i saw the fretless and i was like...wow, neato. guitar center is supposed to get a couple up here....thought i might go try one out in the near future.

14. Ive played one recently at my Guitar center and really loved the sound and feel of it. I Personally own the Red EDA 905 and i absolutly love its feel, looks, and its versatility in tone. The fretless ads a really nice punchy, dry option thats suits jazz and upright like styles. With the Piezo cut and the bass boosted on the Humbucker it has a really elegant, dark and bassy sound. In this kind of setting the B String makes you think the worlds coming to an end. I Really love these line of instruments and i plan on picking up one of the fretless versions in the future. I would definatly recommend The EDA Series to anyone who wants a variety of tones and a killer thump at the turn of a nob.

Later

15. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hee hee...i got the eda fretless 5er a couple weeks ago...and the eda 905 fretted...i got the red one, too...my keyboard player was like...i want lipstick that color! :rolleyes: i dig 'em lots.

16. Cool! Do you sound like Percy Jones yet? ;)

Mike

17. There was one at the local music store. I saw it and had intense and immediate GAS pains. I tried it out and it had that killer tone I know from its fretted cousins. The fretboard looked like black glass and the action was great on it. If I ever go fretless that one's on the list for consideration.

18. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Okay kiddies, now that is what happens when you post in a hurry. 'Would no longer be a problem :D :D', how's that? ;)

19. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    you'd love the AFR.

that was a really nice bass...

discontinued!!

[​IMG]

20. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

god, no, man! i'm working on it, though...i'll let you know when i can hang with him