Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez EDA soapbar replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, May 1, 2005.

1. Im thinking about replacing the soapbar pup on my bass, im gonna stick some new strings on it, see if that makes it much better, but im looking for something with more bite :)

2. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    I bought an Ibanez BTB1005 a few years ago. The bass was great but the electronics were awful. I ordered some custom pickups from Bartolini (the Ibanez were an odd shape) and a Demeter on board preamp. Well the pickups took 5 months to come in, so I ended up putting the preamp in first. It made a HUGE improvement in the sound. I was actually a little disappointed when I got the Bartolini's. They only improved the sound by 10 - 20%. Try upgrading your preamp first.

Ralf

3. The only problem with doing that is, i dont know how!

Altho there is alot of noise that comes through with this, it could be lack of shielding on the preamp

Thing is, its got 5 piezo's, each with its own volume control, aswell as an overall piezo sensitivity on the back (a piezo volume control on the front too), has a bass boost/cut on the back too, treble boost/cut on the front, aswell as the soapbars volume and tone, so, all in all, i dont know if id be able to get a replacement pre!

4. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    Yikes! Individual volume controls on each piezo? Time to find a good guitar tech. That could get messy.

Ralf

5. Im going to open up the back of it, not checked it in ages, but if its not shielded thats where the noise could be coming from?

(i know, 11 controls in all!)

I'll take a pic, show off its electrical wonders :p