Ibanez EDA900 & SRX505

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by willyp2004, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Does anybody own an Ibanez EDA900? If so are they a good bass? Does anybody own an Ibanez SRX505 5-string? If so is it a good 5-string? I'm looking spend probably less than $700 for my new bass. (i'm in high school, give me a break!)
  2. Twitchthroe

Jun 19, 2003
    Sounds like you and I are in a similar situation. I'd like to know how the SRX700 stacks up against the BTB400.
  3. except my problem is i don't know whether or not to go with a better 4 string or just go with 5 string or a fretless!
  4. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

Yeah, I played both of em, and while the EDA900 wasnt exactly me favourite, I did dig the SRX505. The string spacing is a bit thin (but hey, its a soundgear) but it was LOUD, and versatile, and not too heavy (and good looking). I can't really put my finger on what made the EDA not as good...

To Twichthroe: I have a BTB405, and it is VERY versatile... so do you want a quicker neck, less EQ and 34' scale, or the BTB's longer neck, heavier and larger body, a lot of versatility and 35' scale?

Personally, I don't know why the 400 has 35' scale (no B string...) but it is definitely heavier and bigger. But hey, you get that kick ass Monorail bridge with the BTB...:D
  5. The first you should think about, is how many strings do you want in your bass..

You might find more difference between an EDA 4 and an EDA 5, for example, than between two basses of different models but with the same number of strings.
  6. Twitchthroe

Jun 19, 2003
    Huh...choices, choices. I don't know if I wanna get a fiver though. But your right about the four string BTB: Why does it have a 35' neck? I can imagine it's tighter than...well, I'll leave that to your imagination. ;)
  7. Willp2004, I have an EDA905F (fretless) and have played the fretted 5 string model. http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=EDA905

I haven't played the SRX505, but, have played the SRX400 http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=SRX400

They're both very nice basses, but, drastically different. The SRX400 is passive, and has an aggressive sound to it, due to its hot pickup. It's sounds kind of like a passive Music Man bass, or a Fender with hot pups in it. Pretty much a traditional sound, although high-gainish. I liked it. I would imagine the SRX505 would be even hotter due to it being active, and just add a fifth string.

The EDA basses are VERY different sounding. They have a BTB neck pickup in an almost Stingray position, and have piezo pups in the bridge. They also have a very unusual EQ system. The magnetic pickup's EQ boosts or cuts both bass and treble at the same time, something I, and probably a lot of people aren't used to. The piezo EQ only boosts or cuts treble; you have to adjust the bass for the piezos on the back of the bass. It takes time to really get to know this bass. I first played one about two years ago, and was honestly puzzeled by its sound; I didn't know how to describe it to someone.

Since I bought mine, and had hours to fiddle with the controls, I am very happy with this bass. It is EXTREMELY versatile. You can get tones that range from very deep to shimmering highs. In fact, this bass will hurt anyone's ears if you turn the piezo treble all the way up and slap.

If you get the chance to try one in a music store, set the magnetic pup volume on full, and the piezos at half, and then work from there. Keep both tone controls flat.

I love this bass. Try to play both, as these two really are apples and oranges.

Good luck.

8. i havent played either but bass player had an article on SRX505 and it sounded like they liked it a lot.

Im in aobut the same situation as you but i have less money!
    I found my bass though

9. Twitchthroe

Jun 19, 2003
    How about the SRX700? It's made of swamp ash. I wonder how that sounds.
  10. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    A good pal of mine plays an EDA 900 and I have nothing good to say about it, its tinny, lacks lows, punch and definition even with the piezo turned off. Definitally not something I liked, When the ED series bass' first came out I owned an EDB 600 and all I can say is that it was a world of difference between that and the EDA, go for the EDB or the EDC, much better bass' IMO
  11. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

Or the BTB's!:D

Sorry, gotta chime in here.:D :cool: :bassist: