ibanez EDA900

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chips, Mar 24, 2005.

1. gday badgers,

ive been away for a while, and in that time i managed to pull some beads and buy myself a 4 string... the ergodyne bass by ibanez. i think this a very cool bass. luthite body, 24 frets, not sure what the fretboard is tho... piezo active fishman p/up, thru body bridge. tone wise t exactly versatile, very punchy and has a decen slap and fingerfunk tones. The thin and fast neck you expect from ibanez is there too. pricewise... BOUT $1600 AUS... but i got this beauty for $700 at megamusic doorbuster sale (perth musos shoul know about it). i cant loadm pic, but its in candy apple red burst. niiice :D

2. oh am i jealous. i have lusted after one of those for so long. especially in that finish. i love hte feel and the look of those beauties
  3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I had an EDA905. Horrible quality. When I first got it it had a recurring rattle in the E monorail that was audible if I turned the piezo up. The neck had a dip in it right at the neck joint so big the action was 3/4 of an inch at the bottom of the neck. After awhile the B piezo monorail stopped working altogether. So I sent it in and got it back in 2 pieces. It either took a hit or got so cold in the airplane that the tension of the strings broke the body. The whole neck joint and upper horn had separated from the body. Apparently luthite will shatter like glass if hit right. It also has a problem with screw holes stripping.

Sounded great though, enjoy the new bass. :D ....... :bag:
  4. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    hahah, awesome

I've always wanted one of those, but never wanted to buy one....Anyone wanna ship one to me?
  5. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    I'm noodling on a 900 right now. I just got the A string piezo repaired and now the E string piezo is going out.

But I like the ergonomics. I bought some leather dye to darken the rosewood fretboard...it wasn't "futuristic" enough.

You got a good deal on it...I hope it serves you well.

On a related topic, does anyone know of a mag pickup that will retrofit into one of these?
  6. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Yeah, +1 on all that.

They do sound nice, but their build quality is pretty bad. Definitely not for someone who needs a durable bass, or someone who like tweaking his/her setup often. I've thought about selling mine, but due to the condition it's in because of the poor build quality, I don't think I'd get much money at all for it.

I think Bartolini might... check the dimensions listing on their site.
  7. souled_out

Jan 4, 2005
    My primary bass is an EDC705. I bought it a few years ago and I don't think the EDC is made anymore. I really like it for the most part. I love the sound I can get out of the active preamp and the narrow neck suits my small hands. It plays beautifully and generally looks realy cool too. However, I don't really like the luthite body. I find the pitch actually changes depending on how it's resting on my body. If you play an open string then hold the bass away from you, you can hear (and see on a tuner) the pitch go severely flat. That's not exactly a good thing for your bass to do, but I deal with it, I just make sure I tune up in the postition that I play in. Although I love the tone I can get, I find the luthite does not provide the pure, rich sound you get out of wood basses. I also find the the luthite does not hold screws very well, a couple of the holes for the electronics cover have been stripped. And my other complaint is that the pickups are REALLY low output. It's ridiculous how much I have to crank the amp when I'm playing it, and I thought active basses were supposed to be louder. Anyway, despite these seemingly major problems, I still love this bass. I only paid about $850 CDN for it and I like the sound better than several basses that I've tried that cost twice as much. I think I'm fond of it because of the really personal sound I get, rather than the generic sounding Fenders. Anway, that's my story, so I can only assume the EDA's are similar.
  8. i agree on some of the make points. when i bought it, it buzzed like a mofo. i just took it back to the shop and the dudes there set it up. everywhere ive played one, they buzz. need to be set up better i rkn
  9. [​IMG]

I love mine, i know what was being said about it not being completely straight going into the neck, but i had it setup, and the neck bolts tightened, made it alot easier to play and the action is a **** lot better now, not had any electrical problems yet, thinking about getting some straplocks, but i would want them in that wierd coloured chrome

Oh, and BTW, the EDA's are no longer made either (as of january i think)
  10. Oh, and +1 about getting a new soapbar, im seriously considering that, i never use the soapbar on mine other than to add a little warmth to the piezos sometimes, other than that i think its useless on its own :(