Ibanez EDA900

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by voleceq, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Hey everyone. I was just wondering if anyone owned and Ibanez EDA900. If you do could you please tell me if it is a good bass? I was just looking at it in my Musician's Friend catalog and I was just curious if it played as good as it looks. Thanks in advance.
  2. I don't know about the EDA900, but I played another Ergodyne (EBD600) and it was totally awesome! I've also played some EDA's but I don't know what models i've played, they are well worth the money IMO.
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Not a bad instrument for the money. The fretwork could be cleaner, as is true of every instrument in this price range. There's some raggedness to the neck pocket, though no more so than a comparatively-priced wooden instrument. The funny shape allows it to balance perfectly on one's lap (or at least my lap). Tonally, the magnetic pickup alone makes the bass sound spongy, but the piezo restores some top end. There's a bunch of screwdriver adjustable volume and tone pots in the back, so I imagine there's better tones than what I was able to achieve in the store. Despite the small body, it's surprisingly heavy.
  4. the EDA is way different from the EDB/ EDC..

it has piezo pickups embedded in the bridge..

Check Bassplayer, June 2001 edition.. it has a review of the EDA905.. afaik the only difference between the 900 and the 905 is the 5th string..

here's how it scores according to bassplayer :

Construction : 4 out of 5
    Electronics : 4 our of 5
    Playability : 4 out of 5
    Sound : 5 out of 5 (!!)
    Value : 4 out of 5

says enough imho :D
  5. This is a very accurate description of this bass. I checked out the EDA905 when I was looking for a 5 string a few weeks ago. It is a nice bass, but you really have to play it for yourself. I know this sounds like a cop-out, but, it does have its own sound. I didn't like the sound of just the magnetic pup, but with the piezo, it was good. This one is hard to put into a category. The machine heads tune in reverse, and this drove me nuts. The way it balances is pretty amazing though.

Mike J.
  6. The local GC has been stocking them for some time, and every time I'm in there I make sure to play the EDA. It has great tone, and I have fallen in love with the piezo bridge. It just sounds so much better than the others that I have. Soon as I get enough money, that puppy will be hanging on my wall.

As for you, voleceq, you might want to play it first before you go and buy one. Like it has been said before, it has it's own sound. Try it out for a while, see if you like. I'm pretty sure you will.

I did.:D

Rock on
  7. Well... before I can buy it I too also have to get money but if I just walk in and ask to play it, would they let me even if I had no intention of buying it anytime soon?
  8. Any decent music store would... hell, you can always lie and say you didn't like it, then order one from another shop. This is what I'd do if I knew another store could get it cheaper or had a better after sales policy on basses, or even if I wanted it in another finish. Although, if the store is nice enough to let you sit there with the bass and a stack, then I think they deserve the extra $50 or so that you'd save by going somewhere else.

Hell, if the store is an Ibanez dealer they might even order it into the store with the intention of you just testing it! I haven't run into any stores that do this around my area, but then there are a lot of stores with different selections, and one store where I buy everything from(cheaper, better aftersales), but who order it in for me.
  9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000