Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez EDB 500 or 600?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by big daddy cool, Dec 30, 2001.

1. ok, ive been thinking about both of the above and I'm wondering what you think would be better for me to buy? The less money I spend the better, and I've only been plaing for about 18months so am fairly average skill wise so please take that into account. What I wanna know is whether you'd reccomend the EDB 600 or the EDB 500 with an upgraded bridge? thank you.

2. the 600 by far.. the 500 has got crappy electronics too

3. I'm under the impression that the only difference in electronics between the two is that the 600 has EQB-3 3Band EQ and the 500 has Phat EQ.
    Is there really a huge difference in sound between them both, and if so what kind of differences are we talking about? cheers.

4. EDB 500 = Fiat Panda
    EDB 600 = Volkswagen Golf

:)

5. I'd get the 600. Save up a little more, and get a great (IMO) bass, instead of paying a little less for a mediocore one.

6. thank you guys. You've made my mind up now. Its just a shame I cant get the 600 in that grey pewter type colour. that really is lovely.

One last question. If you had been playing bass for about 18 months. You bought your last bass 9 months ago, that being a GSR-200 and the only reason that you were deciding on another ibanez was because you loved the neck, would you go for the standard four string which you love and are good at, or try and move on to the five which you aren't any good at (but had virtualy no experience) and have found that it hinders your normal capabilities?

I have only played five string in shops so I guess it might just be because I'm not used to them, but that aside, you are more experienced at all of this than I am, so what would you recomend taking into account I can get the 605 at the same price as the 600?

7. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    if you like the sound of the B and think it could e useful to you, go for the 605. it will take a bit of time to get used to, and it will be harder to learn, but if yorue persistant and practice, its worth it. dont buy a 5 string just because you can. the neck will be differet on the 5 string, it will be a lot thicker than teh 4 string neck you are used to. if its a skinny neck youre after you might want to either stick with the 4, or get a different 5 in a simalar price range. (ive played a 605, neck is quite thick)

8. xax712

xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    I think that Ibanez makes a great bass I have 3 basses, (one of them being the biggest piece of junk on earth), but I just got an edc-705 and I would recommend jumping up to that if you can. I think the edc's playability is far better than that of the edb and the looks are amazing, it also comes in pewter grey.;)
    But hey that's just me. I think Ibanez makes a great bass especially for people who aren't filthy rich(like college students, me). So I don't think you would be wrong getting the edb, but definately go for the 5 string, you'll thank yourself later.

9. I own the EDB605 (5 strings version of the bass you ask), pretty good sound, strong neck, good electronics. I can't say the same for the EDB500, a friend (female), owns the EDB500, both have the same amp, but it's incredible how distinct sounds even being both EDB!

Go for the EDB600! Don't look back! Cost some additional bucks, but you get much more.

Saludos y suerte con el EDB600
    (Yeah, I speak spanish :D )

...and for xax... buddy... ,
    only the body changes, EDC looks better, that true. (comment from an EDB owner)

10. xax712

xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    same neck but not same body, the body shape on the edc also helps in playing.
    I think if you can get the edc for a good deal go for it instead.

11. I have an EDB 600 in grey pewter, I just got it last month. Are they not making them in that finish anymore? :confused:

12. well... I wrote off to south africa to see if they would have the 600 in stock whilst I was there. They wrote back appologising that it would be avaliable so i was a little annoyed. They did however mention that they had 700s avaliable at the cost of only 250 pounds once its been converted and the VAT's been taken off. Thats about US$350 i think? not sure, but either way it appears to me to be a damn good deal so if i can find the cash ill be getting it for sure.