Ibanez EDB 605 VS Ibanez BTB 405

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Castelo, Jul 17, 2001.

1. Ibanez EDB 605

8 vote(s)
  2. Ibanez BTB 405

60 vote(s)
  3. Both are OK

6 vote(s)
  1. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    help me decide!!

both are in the exact same price, both have passive pickups and active EQ...

BTB: Large Frets - Basswood - MR2 Bridge (for each string)
    EDB: Medium frets - Luthite - AccuCast Bridge (normal)

i haven´t see them or played them... i´ll do it at the store but i need you opinion on this! i only have 6 more days to decide :)

i kinda like the bridge on the BTB... also the shape... but i don´t know about the tone-playability...

gimme your opinion, i already know that i have the last word by trying them but i need some comments...

see ya!
  2. Dave, I've played both of these basses more than a few times, and while the EDA605 is a very good bass, the BTB surpasses it in every category, in my humble opinion. They both sound good, but, the BTB's pickups and EQ circuit give a much wider range of tones, and they sound closer to traditional bass tones. Also the BTB's E string is noticeably clearer than the EDA's. The one advantage the EDA might have is that it's got a pretty thin neck compared to the BTB, so if you have small hands this might feel more comfortable to you. Don't start to judge these two basses by the specs you listed, just play them both and let your ears and hands be your guide.

Good luck in whichever one you choose.

My choice, by far would be the BTB.

Mike J.
  3. The EDB's are by far he dogs of the Ergoodyne series...they are just passable, IMO. All of Michael's points stand true.

BTB all the way, Dave.
  4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    i have pretty large hands :)

i guess BTB is for me... of course i have yet to try them...

thanks... this is really helpful
  5. I actually have both (well I actually have a BTB405QM and a EDC705 as well as a few others) I love them both the BTB & EDC are pretty much the only bass I'll play live they're both highly Dynamic Basses. My vote for you you Goes to more towards the BTB, because of the 35" scale neck, "if you start out on clutch you'll be able to drive anything else".
  6. I like the BTB its looks better (IMO) sounds better with more tonal versatility it just doesnt sound so... so... sterile, and thats the sound the luthite body produces. Once again IMO. SO BTB!
  7. oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    I feel the BTB is a better bass in every area.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

BTB. No contest, IMHO.

But then, I'm not a big fan of any of the ED series.
  9. silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Neither. I am stuck playing a 605 until I have the money together, and am getting more and more unhappy with it as time goes by. I agree that it sounds very sterile and very cold. The luthite body will cut through the mix, but it has no soul. It may work for you, but I am disliking it a lot lately. Anyone interested in a used 605?

Also, everyone talks about how thin the necks are on this thing. I must have the smallest hands on the planet. I played a SDGR 1306 before this, and compared to the Soundgear neck this one feels huge to me.
  10. stratusxh

Jul 15, 2001
    i personally tried the BtB405 in a local music store and was simply blown away with the simplicity and versatility of the electronics and the tones it allowed. it was only later i found out it was a 35 inch scale, 18 volt, basswood/quilted maple, neutrik locking jack(i wondered *** that was), variable mid-range monster that it was. and then i saw the price. mine should arrive UPS from the woodwind and brasswind from whom i ordered this week.

PS- the wide string spacing(especially for a 5) is excellent for slapping for a person with large monkey hands like mine and dirty technique. =)
  11. Go with the BTB! 18v electronics, 35" scale, it is made of wood, and is all around a better bass. Happy playing!

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Bit late, isn't it? He already got the BTB...
  13. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yeah, but isn't that a 4-string? Perhaps he wants to expand his horizons a little.
  14. I owned a BTB1005 for a short while and it was a very nice instrument. Great sound!
  15. i own the BTB. i love it to death. that's just about all i can say.

the BTB is available in 4 or 5 strings, actually. i even own the 5 string model.
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It's also available in a 6.
  17. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Umm, why was this thread revived??:confused:
  18. well then...

so it is.
  19. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000

ask BornUnwanted

BTW: I scored that BTB! :)

20. nice bass.

i was bored and i saw this thread when i first came to the site.

i revived it.

oh well.