Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez EDB series basses .. is it worth it ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fozzy, Jan 27, 2004.

1. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Ibanez EDB series basses .. is it worth it ??
    Body material - Luthite ... :)
    Is it worth bying it...
    My playing style is emocore/screamo!
    What you will suggest ??

2. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Sad .. :( .. no one Ibanez EDB players? I'm going to buy this bass, so i want only your opinion! That's all !

3. I don'tk now about the EDB series, but i have an EDC700, they're in luthite as well. It's a really good bass.

4. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Thank you ! :D

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I had an EDB, I sold it last week. They're good basses, but they're feckin' heavy for their size! The 3 band EQ is nice, but the tone still lacks major variety. The pan knob is useful, but the bridge pickup sounds horrible. The pickups are also kind of weak. Their high end (the D and G strings) sound really ugly. I wouldn't recommend an EDB. Go with an SRX400-700. Oh, one last thing.. The body kind of smells.. Smells like paint.

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I have always liked the EDB series. If you want some thoughts on it, I know Allodox has owned at least one, and loves it. Maybe hit him up for some info?

7. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I played one in a store once. Ehhh. If you got your heart set on an ergodyne I'd get the EDC715. I had an EDA905 for almost a year before it broke. Poop. Only thing it had going for it was great note definition. No real low end and HORRIBLE action. But it busted and Ibanez gave me an SRX705 as replacement. It rules. Very ballsy. Bowel shaking low end. You should look at an SRX500 and above.

8. I bought a used EDB 405 from one of our fellow TB'ers, and it was great! A good friend of mine offered to trade me an old piano for it (my middle son plays keys) and I couldn't resist the offer. Otherwise, I'd still have it. I've also got much higher-end equipment, but for for the price, that axe was sweet! I don't think you'd be disapointed.

9. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    He..he .. sounds good to me... GO EDB .. :)

10. My teacher has one. It's really comfortable sitting down. My bass is a four string and his is a 5'er but the moment I picked it up it felt good. I can't comment on the tone since I just played thru a lousy setup.

11. Tightanic

Tightanic Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2000
    NYC
    I've been playing an EDB 605 as my main bass for more than 3 years now. The pros are that it's tone got a lot of juicy growl, and it sings like a Fender, but in a more "sleek" , elegant way. The cons are the rather mediocre fretwork (at least on my particular bass), and the slightly muddy note definition.

Johannes

12. I've got an EDB 350. Its an alright bass, but the tone is extremley high mid heavy and therefore pretty well defined, but it has no cajones whatsoever.

Playability is just what you'd expect from a bass that cheap. It works, but you wont love it unless your current bass is just a step up from firewood.

The output jack on mine broke after a couple of weeks, which I hear is a not so unusual thing with Ibanez products.

Decent bass for the 180 bucks it cost me though.

13. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I've had an EDB600 for a while now, and it's okay, but not for me. It's pretty midrangey, and I'd like something different tonally, but if you dig it, I think these basses are fine for the price. It's got a thin, fast neck and it's really comfortable. And I don't think it's really that heavy, it's around the same weight (or less) as other basses I use.

Oh and just in case, mine is for sale, PM me if you're interested. ;)
    Leanne

14. i got an edb 500 its pretty rad core. its comfortable and has a fast thin neck and it sounds decent. i would say get one. play it before you buy it. luthite basses tend to have a different sound than most wood basses.

15. I have the EDB-600. I have had it for 2 1/2 years. I will be brutally honest. I don't really like it. I looks good, and sits comfortably, the neck is nice and fast. However, it sounds pretty average. It lacks clear low end, and the passive pickups are rather weak. There are also sound dead-spots on the neck, near the 5th fret on the E string, for example.

I think my biggest beef with it is the sound. It just really doesn't cut it in my opinion. Rather weak and very flat sounding. I would much prefer the Yamaha RBX 760 for the same price (assuming the price is similar in the US to what it is here in AUS).

Of course, I could be rather biased considering I am GASing for a new Warwick... :crying:

16. Spam2mapS

Spam2mapS

Jun 26, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I had an EDB before I got my spector. I really didn't like it at all... I found the tone quite lacking, not a whole lot of bottom end, it's all mids and highs. This is IMO of course. My only other major problem with it was the neck, I had some problems with the neck flexing REALLY badly even with slight humidity changes. The neck is also extremely easy to flex unintentionally I fount... I did find the bass very comfortable, but the tiny neck wasn't really the thing for me. It wasn't really a bad bass, it just really wasn't my thing...