Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez EDB600 vs. SR800

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by todjk, Oct 1, 2000.

1. I'm seriously considering the purchase of an Ibanez EDB600, which I had the opportunity to play for the first time this weekend. I love the thin neck and the sound I heard. I'm also facinated by the way that it "hugs" you when you play it.

However, while glancing through a current Musician's Friend, I became aware of the SR800, which also intrigues me.

I'm wanting to spend about $500-$600. So, both of these basses fall in to my price range.

Can anyone give me some real-life experience/advice on which is "better"? ...knowing perfectly well that this question is an argumentative question. :)

Advice is helpful to me. Thanks!

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I personally don't like the look of the Ergodyne series, and they feel, oddly enough, body heavy to me, but the tone on these beats the 800 series hands down.

Play both if possible before you buy, but IME and IMHO the EDB is a much better, if not as pretty, bass.

BTW - it has also been my experience that basswood bodied Ibanez instruments are the most lacking in tone of all.

So, if you are interested in the Soundgear(SR) line, I suggest you check out the maple bodied version, which is now only available in the 300 and 400 series.

3. Thank you embellisher for your feedback.

You've inspired me to ask this question...is the difference in tone due to this Luthite stuff that I'm reading is used with the EDB series? (Not knowing what Luthite is), is it that good of a material?

As I'm reading, there is an EDB and an EDC series. I'm wondering if there are any substantial differences between these two series, embellisher?

As far as the Soundgear line, if the basswood helps degrade tone somehow I probably won't entertain the thought of purchasing one. Being an honest person to admit I'm a rookie, what is the best material to have in a bass?

Thank you embellisher for your advice!

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Hopefully you will get other replies on this as well.

The luthite is probably partly responsible for the tone, but I believe that the Ergodynes have better electronics than the SR series, at least the SR300 - 800 anyway.

I don't know the difference between the EDB and EDC basses, but I believe we have owners of both on the board.

As to body material, this is highly subjective, but generally speaking, lighter woods are more resonant and color the tone more, while harder and heavier woods are brighter and have a more articulate fundamental(root note comes through more clearly), up to a point.

Extremely heavy and hard woods can result in a dead sound, IME. Strong fundamental, but lacking in depth and overtones.

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Hi Todd,

I am an Sr885 owner, Ive had mine for several years now and my advice to you would be to save your money and not buy one. Although they are a very pretty looking bass, I find that the sound quality in them is seriously lacking compared to some of the bass guitars for the same price. Im not a big fan of the ergodyne series either. Its the luthite thing they have going on. Im old school like that and think bass and guitars should be made of wood. But thats just me. The electronics in the EDC are the same as the ones in the Sr800 series. Both have the Vari-mid. The electronics in the EDB are the same ones that they put in the Sr400 series, the EQBIII. I agree with embelisher I dont like the look of the Ergodynes either and the tone is a little bit better. But for the money of each you can find something that sounds even better than either of those. This is all just my opinion though. If you do decide to go with an Ibanez Id say go with an Sr400

6. Hey, I'm an owner of the great EDB600 =) The major difference between the EDB's and EDC's is just the shape.. the EDC's have the thumb rest while the EDB's just have the scoop... The luthite does give the ergodyne series a different sound. I'll be more than happy to answer any and all your questions on the edb600 =)

-Willz

7. Thank you, everyone, for your input and advice. Much appreciated!

<b><i>ikickuintheballs:</b></i> if you were "back on square one" and had the money to buy a bass, would you purchase and EDB again? Why?

Thanks!

Tod

8. If I were "back on square one" and had the money to buy a bass.. (thinking I still had about $500-700) I'd still get this bass... it's just my type of bass.. it feels right, has great tone, and has the my type of look =).. but if I had about $1200.. I'd definitely go with a MM or maybe a really nice Washburn.. but back to my EDB.. I've play many other 4 string basses for how much I paid and it's hard to beat..

-Willz

9. Luthite is a kind of plastic. It gives a sorta Steinberger-esque tone but without the top-end snap. I'd get a Cort Curbow over an Ergodyne any day of the week. (As a matter of fact, I'm considering getting a 5-string Curbow fretless and stringing it EADGC--but that's a bit spendy.)

10. Just one thing to note: SR800 has active pickups, while all Ergodynes and SR300-400 have passive ones. This may cause the difference (though I personally don't have experience...)

Question about differences between EDBs and EDCs:
    Do EDCs have bridge and strings lower to the body, than EDBs?
    Are EDCs any better balanced than EDBs due to extra long horns?
    Is there any difference in the neck?
    Does parametric midrange in VariMid play much difference to EQIII?

Are EDBs convenient to play with a pick?

And I have a serious question regarding dead spots on Ergodynes posted as a separate thread here.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

As has been mentioned, this is a very subjective subject. But I do know, that after having tried literally hundreds of different bass, I always like the sound best, if the body is made mostly or all of maple. I know there can be other considerations, but just for tone I know that maple always sounds best to me.

I have a feeling that mahogany would also be good, but probably too heavy for all of a bass - this is often used in necks as stringers, but I've never come across an all-mahogany bass, although classic Les Paul guitars are solid mahogany and are said to get their sustain from this.