Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez Ergodine - Worth Repairing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jow83, Oct 18, 2005.

1. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    My main bass for the last five years has been one of the old Ibanez Ergo's, same as this but red.

[​IMG]

Has been gigged with a lot in punk and metal bands but unfortunatly it seems to be on its last legs in a lot of ways. I am upgrading to a USA P Deluxe in a month (its on laybuy right now), but I have a soft spot for this bass as it has been with me for quite a while now.

It needs a lot of work, and I was just wondering if you guys think its worth it?

I recently (last 3 months) have had it set up and cleaned up, including basic repairs and some parts replaced worth $AU200+ but since then more things seem to be cropping up all the time.

Some of the problems are:

-Very bad buzz on G string and low frets of other stings, will def. need a new nut to rectify this.
    -The jack plug is shot. The connections need re-soldering, I have had this done a few times already and as a result the poles are a bit of a mess as they keep disconecting. The thread on the plug itself has been worn out, meaning its quite loose (which is why the connections keep breaking), have had this addressed in the past as well. And finally the screw hole holding the plug to the body has had the thread worn down to the point where it is being held to the body with gaffa tape (will teach me to buy a resin bass) and i am hesitant to have it re-drilled as it will happen again leading to bigger and bigger screws until it can no longer be fixed.
    -Some of the other screws fittings on the body are also coming loose due to the thread on the resin being worn away. I'm not sure if method of glue + toothpick will work on a resin bass.
    -Both the stacked knobs as well as the pan knob have problems, either they are very wobbly (again due to the resin being worn away) or bent (stacked knobs) so that the top and bottem half catch when turning.

Getting it fixed would be a big deal, prob expensive as well, I'm not sure if it is worth paying more (spent 240 already) to get it fixed when the bill could run up to more then half of what I originally payed for the bass.

So what do you guys think, is it worth getting this baby back into gigging condition, or should i just make minor repairs and only play it at home and practice from now on?

Its a sad thing relising my first real bass is perhaps on its last legs, should I say goodbye or not?

Joe

(sorry about the long post)

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    No reason to say goodbye, unless you want to sell it to me cheap. I could turn that thing into a nearly new rock machine. It is easy to use a kind of epoxy (popular with plumbers) to fill the screw holes, then re drill them. Also, replacing the electronics may take a bit to find the proper values, and concentric types (if it has those), but it is worth it. Now if you do get rid of it, I want first dibs.

3. From what you have described, doesnt sound like your bass needs that much to be done to get to get it working great again..

Don't say goodbye to it. Put some love into it. Not only will you feel better about keeping it but, if you do the work yourself, you'll learn some stuff. I'm sure there are many people on here that are experienced enough to step you through a repair on your bass.

My opinion, if you have to ask others opinions if you should give up a bass or not, then you shouldnt. Only time you should give up a bass is if, no matter what anyone else says, there is no way you'll change your mind.

4. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    It is quite bad, mainly all the fittings on the body being worn down, I have been told that since its luthite (sp?) not wood the epoxy thing might not be a good idea? Also I am no tech by any means so I would have to get it done in a shop.

But like you said it might be a good chance to learn some skills that would be helfull later.

I wasn't really thinking of giving it away, I'd prob still use it for practice at home. I just seems like every other week something else is going wrong with it.

At the shop that did the last lot of repairs on it I think the bill would be $AU300 + and that was before the knobs started going. I guess pictures would help but I dont have a digicam.

Is there any part where I could check out things like the parts for stacked pots and stuff?

5. Get a good tech to give it a going over, shouldnt be too much to fix :)

6. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    If you can tighten up her holes and steady her wobbles why kick a good HO to the curb?

Fix her and give her a good working out once in a while.

7. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    This ought to be a pretty simple fix. Blank nuts are cheap, and any good tech can carve one for you in no time. Sounds like the bass should get a full setup while you're at it.

Replacing the jack is easy. Again, any tech should be able to do this in under 5 minutes. To fix the screw holes, you could try the epoxy thing others have mentioned (it will work, but you'll get epoxy all over your bass if you're not careful), or you could install threaded inserts.

This may be more expensive. They tend to get a lot of money for those concentric pots. I had to replace one on my SR800 once... I searched and searched for a proper replacement (it was an odd value). When I finally found one, it cost me almost $30. For the pots that aren't bent, you simply need to secure them to the body. Try building up the worn parts of the control cavity with epoxy or even bondo.

Anyway, I say you should keep the bass. If you're willing to do the work yourself, my guess is you'll come in around $50.

8. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Sound's like nothing a little attention won't fix... 5 min Epoxy works well as a filler for luthite BTW. If it's your first bass.. KEEP IT! you will regret parting with it later.

LOL i just realised how old this thread was!.

9. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Sign me up on the "save the bass" side. I still have my first, Korean-made (made in Korea when Korea wasn't kool) JB copy bass and I can't let go! I ordered new pickups for it yesterday. It's got a graphite nut and the original base-ball-bat neck was recut to a slim vee, and it's my oldest 4-string friend. I had it out last night after I got home from rehearsal (playing my Carvin-with-DiMarzios) and thought, "why don't other basses feel this good?"

A tech can help you. Go for it.

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Keep it. I think the only part of the fix that should be done by a tech is the nut. The epoxy work [assuming you use something like epoxy], and electronics could be done by you and you'll learn a bunch about it.

I wired the bass i built [had the SD MM5 pickup and electronics] and thanks to a wiring diagram, the bass has no hum, and i think it took a whole 20mins including opening it up & closing it back. This includes feeding the wire through the cavity.

Installing a nut wouldn't be that bad, i had problems cutting the actual slot that the nut goes into to the right depth/width. This was a build issue for me-i hadn't built a bass before.

Even if you decide not to get it back to 100% pristine condition, keeping it so that it is at least playable is always a good move. I've got my first bass strung as a piccolo bass at the moment-but it wouldn't take much to bring it back to normal playing mode. Just changing strings and doing a setup. The other aspect is the sentimental value. Most of my basses i have an emotional connection to, the only ones that i don't are my SX basses. I bought them this past summer, and i've rarely played them. So these are the only 2 that i'd consider getting rid of.

11. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Y'all know that this thread is almost 6 months old and the original poster hasn't even been on TB since last November, right?